Author Topic: Grow to Bow  (Read 17753 times)

Offline outcaste

Grow to Bow
« on: May 16, 2007, 12:18:58 pm »
Hi,

This posting may challenge a few perceptions on how long yew should be seasoned for. I have recently completed a new self yew bow that weighs in at 112@32 made form Welsh Yew, no great shakes in itself. Only to say the wood was part of a tree just seven months before if was shot! I have recently shot at a BLBS competition in Wales and it made 242 yards of ground with a 52 gram arrow with six inch fletchings. I feel that this out performs what would normally be expected from this weight of bow.

Has anybody else had similar experiences?

Here are the pics showing it to have what I would call an eliptical tiller.

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa82/Outcastebowman/?action=view&current=Dscn7257.flv

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa82/Outcastebowman/Dscn7258.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa82/Outcastebowman/Dscn7259.jpg

Cheers, Outcaste

Offline DanaM

Re: Grow to Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 12:22:11 pm »
I don't know a thing about warbows but thats a nice bow outcaste.
Also welcome to the PA site.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 12:54:39 pm »
Hi Outcaste!!...
I´m not a warbow expert yet but I´d say that shoot of yours is AWESOME mate!!...and a very cool bow too.... :)...
Is that true???...only it has been drying for seven months since that Welch yew stave was harvested from the tree???... :o...
Have you "heat treated" or something like that to get the moisture content down from your bow stave in that "reasonable" drying time mate??.....REALLY REALLY NICE!!!...
I have also some "Basque" yew seasoning at my workshop since was harvested about allmost a year now!...cant wait to make a warbow out of them... ;)...
Cheers...
Asier. 
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 12:55:09 pm »
That tiller looks fast :)

How long is it?

stevesjem

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 01:30:30 pm »
Hi outcast (Al), yeah that was going to be my question, what is it's length, it looks very short in the pici, well done on your distance though, nice one.

Steve

duffontap

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 01:48:50 pm »
My first Yew warbow was made about five months after felling the tree.  Not my standard practice but it worked fine.  I got it down to bow proportions and put it in a drying box while I tillered it. 

J. D. Duff

Offline outcaste

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 04:47:41 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the compliments guys.

To answer your questions the length nock to nock is 73 1/2 inches and it was cut and lashed to a piece of metal angle and stored inside initially in a warmish storeroom then in a suspended rack in a large well ventilated workshop. I must say this was not design but the way it came to pass. I tried a moisture meter on it and it was good to go! Can't argue with the science!

Due to the weight/length it has about 2 1/2 inches of string follow.

I (and Yeomanbowman) have been lucky as we have come across a small supply of Welsh yew that does seem to have some 'magical' properties! I am looking forward to using some more of this stock but I might just wait just a little longer! 

Cheers, Outcaste

Offline Loki

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 07:41:15 pm »
Nice Bow Outcaste,very nice work!

I have also some "Basque" yew seasoning at my workshop since was harvested about allmost a year now!...cant wait to make a warbow out of them..
Great!cant wait for the Pics Asiertxu,i like your bows  ;D.
Durham,England

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 08:51:03 pm »
Hey Loki!!... :)...
Thank you mate!!, nice to hear that from you, you´re really glad fellow!!... ;)...
Cheers...
Asier. 
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 07:09:29 am »
Pretty wood. The bow is quite stiff handled though....

Jaro

SimonUK

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 07:28:58 am »
Hi Outcaste ...you've worked miracles with that wood. Could I ask how small the wood was cut when removed from the log? e.g. 2 by 2 inches? And did you leave the bark on?

I think there's a catch 22 situation with leaving the bark on - you don't know the best place to cut the wood until the bark is off, but if you remove the bark it might split.

Offline outcaste

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 06:45:33 pm »
Hi Outcaste ...you've worked miracles with that wood. Could I ask how small the wood was cut when removed from the log? e.g. 2 by 2 inches? And did you leave the bark on?

I think there's a catch 22 situation with leaving the bark on - you don't know the best place to cut the wood until the bark is off, but if you remove the bark it might split.

Hi,

The log was around 4 inches in diameter, split in half straight away and bark removed with the ends covered in PVA to stop the ends from drying too quickly and producing splits/shakes. After all this the stave was lashed to a metal angle.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers, Outcaste

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 07:18:44 pm »
Outcaste please, what is the physical mass of the bow?

Jaro

Offline outcaste

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 07:13:15 pm »
I don't know the weight at the moment as I haven't got the appropriate device but I could supply other dimensions if that would surfice?

Also of note at Batsford this weekend it made 225 yards with a 75gram arrow with 7 1/2 inch fletchings.

Outcaste

Offline Loki

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 03:15:53 am »
Nice!
Who won the John Holder challenge Outcaste?
Durham,England