Author Topic: Richard Longbow  (Read 37929 times)

psylvain

Re: Richard Longbow
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2007, 06:18:49 pm »
Well, alrighty then ...
How can I refuse an offer like that?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2007, 10:22:17 pm »
I read the article in the lastest PA. I thought it was pretty good. The only thing that really gave me pause was Richard's assertion that adding rawhide backing will increase a bow's draw weight. I've backed a number of bows with rawhide and have never noticed any appreciable change in draw weight as a result. But maybe there is something different about buffalo hide.
Gordon

Rich Saffold

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2007, 10:29:34 pm »
I read the article today and having done many hide and leather backings, the very first lesson I learned is if you don't stretch the living wee out of the wet hide, or leather before gluing it on, the backing only adds mass to the bow. We know this doesn't make the bow any faster. There is no help other than to keep a splinter down if you do rasp the back of your bow like in the photo. That too isn't needed from what I have learned.. A little rough up with 60 grit will hold it down just fine.

Secondly making claims about performance without chronograph numbers, arrow, draw length and witnesses is a bit absurd..Not to mention the other stuff already taliked about here..

After the first article I naturally had to be a little skeptical since I was a commercial diver for 20 years, and know quite well what happens to wood in salt water. I don't see any of the coastal bowyers running out to repeat this trick. The local indians didn't do any of these practices, and we live a half mile from the beach..go figure ;)

Rich-
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 02:00:38 am by Rich Saffold »