Author Topic: Long story sad/happy ending  (Read 2106 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Long story sad/happy ending
« on: February 03, 2011, 01:11:37 am »
The stories of my great grandfather hunting in the area that was to become Riding Mountain National Park (and poaching in the same area afterwards) are the stuff of family legend.  I recently learned that when my great uncle passed, his son had given my great grandpa's rifle to my uncle's hunting buddy.  I spoke to my cousin, and learned who it was had possession of this rifle.  A few weeks ago, my dad went to visit this fellow in the hospital; I half jokingly said if they ran out of things to talk about to mention the rifle and ask if he would be willing to part with it.  He agreed, but died 2 days later; I thought oh well, I missed my chance.  But Dad mentioned it to the fellow's brother, who unhesitatingly gifted it to me.  There were some complications, the gun had been loaded (along with 122 others) into an auction company van, and driven to a town over an hour's drive away.  I heard nothing for 2 weeks, I thought, oh well, they forgot.  But lo and behold, they had not, and now I am the proud owner of a Savage 99 made in 1946, with a shortened military 30-06 barrel (shortened on the cylinder end in order to remain a 300 Savage???) married to a 300 Savage reciever, due to the fact my great grandfather shot out the original barrel.  There are rumours as to the accuracy and doubts as to the integrity of this rifle, but the fellow who delivered it said he had shot the gun himself and these rumours are unfounded.  I am excited to forge a new future for this family history, I suspect it hasn't shot a deer for over 20 years.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Long story sad/happy ending
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 01:39:11 am »
I bought a Savage 99E a few years ago in .308. Great little gun. I have always liked a lever action anyway. I think I paid $150 for mine. The 99E was the economy model with a stained maple stock. I striped the stock and stained it with medium brown leather dye and 5 or 6 coats of Tru-Oil and she's a sweet little gun. It came with a 4x scope and I changed that for a 3x9.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 12:38:22 pm »
  I use to work for a gunsmith for years when younger. And had alot of chance to buy broken guns so I ended up with a few. I still have 2 ,300 savage and a 257 BOBERTS. Which I used both some when I was younger. There really nice old guns. I have some of my grandads guns I'm sure your is as pricesless as mine. COOL STORY
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

HatchA

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:45:30 pm »
Well done, Zen-man!!  That's some nice heritage to get your hands on and a nice story to add to the collection...

Post up a couple of pic's if you get the chance?  I think we'd all love to see it...

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:51:25 pm »
Thanks guys!  I'll try to get some pictures up soonish; I'm having computer issues:  My hard drive is stuffed full.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Grunt

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 12:25:36 pm »
I just finished cleaning a Winchester Model 1890 .22 pump that belonged to my great grandfather. I was hell on squirrels with this gun back in the early 60's. The gun has notches in the wrist that I cut to keep track of my kills. When I was 14 my dad bought me a Model 12 with a 32" full barrel that I will clean this afternoon. I have two children that I know of but being a crazy Vietnam combat vet got in the way of me from ever meeting them. I do have a cousin who has four daughters and one of them just passed her hunters safety course. Good to keep guns in the family.