Author Topic: First forged, socketed arrowhead  (Read 14294 times)

Offline Phil Rees

Re: First forged, socketed arrowhead
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 09:57:10 pm »
Matt
First of all well done.
If I could make some constructive comments,  it looks like your closing the socket a little too far down the flare, that 's what's giving you that small hole in the neck. Try tightening the sock by directing your hammer blows into the neck of the bodkin.

Well done

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 11:21:21 am »
Those are nice points! I've been doing some blacksmithing points as well, yours seem better than mine though.

Keep up the nice work! do you temper them or heat treat them in anyway?

Thanks for the compliment! As for heat treating... I haven't with these since these were just made from some scrap mild steel. If I ever get to the point where I can forge perfect sockets with my eyes closed I'll move up to some high carbon steel. When that day comes I'll probably heat treat the point by getting it to a cherry red and quenching it.

Matt
First of all well done.
If I could make some constructive comments,  it looks like your closing the socket a little too far down the flare, that 's what's giving you that small hole in the neck. Try tightening the sock by directing your hammer blows into the neck of the bodkin.

Well done

Constructive criticism is always welcome! Thank you for your advice, I'll put it to use next time I'm working on arrow heads.

kurogane_84

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 04:44:20 am »
Beautiful sir, how dis you do the broadhead? did you start with the blade or the socket?

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 02:03:06 am »
It is great to see someone doing this.  Those are awesome.  Look forward to seeing more.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 11:11:51 pm »
How is progress on these?

I sold a smithing business in my youth.  Smithing takes a lot of specialized tools to make things efficiently.  Small work is hard to not burn.  Grinding and filing will clean up but forging is much faster.  Hammer controll and a clearly defined process is key.

I'd forge an anvile cone to clean the socket up on.  That way they all come out the same, and you can get thin metal and a consistent taper to the cone.