Author Topic: fishing arrow???????  (Read 10379 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
fishing arrow???????
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:02:01 am »
trying to figure otu how to make a fishing arrow that i can use a typical reel or a drum with line on it want to use cane for its strength but was trying to figure out what kind of forshaft i could use that would be very strong when it got wet. and i'll probaly have to use one of the new fishing points to get penetration and hold on the fish. trying to go as primitive as possible but do not watn to injure a fish unless i really think i have a chance of getting it. buffalo, carp, and even gar would be what i would be going after.carp  around here get from 5 to 50 lbs i know of. buffalo i have cught up to 20 lbs on a reel and i have seen 7 to 7.5 feet gar but would vbe going after smaller ones. any ideas?   all ideas are welcome.
doc

Offline Bevan R.

Re: fishing arrow???????
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:11:10 am »
I do not think that cane can take the abuse or a fishing arrow. Also you will not get the depth penetration. You might try a removable hardwood forshaft (like some darts for atlatls) and attach your line to it and have the rest of the arrow come off. I would recommend a solid hickory or similar shafting instead of cane.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:12:56 am »
I did a little research a few years ago trying to figure out how to make primitive fishing arrows for shooting big aligator gars. I contacted Curt Keller in Texas about my ideas. Curt fishes for the big gator gars so I wanted to tap his brain for ideas. Curt sent me a few pieces of gar belly skin with the scales attaches and that made me rethink my attempt. I think I could get an arrow into the gar but the scales would cut any primitive cordage used for retreval.
  One of my thoughts was to use a "toggle" style head like the Eskimos used for seals and walrus. These can be made with bone or hardwood toggle heads attached to the shafts.  Do a Google search for "Toggle type arrow heads". I found lots of info there.  I'd still like to try it if I could figure out how to make a better reteieval system.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jturkey

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 12:25:40 pm »
that is what i was thinking the cane i was thinking of using a removable forshaft made of some material like osage or locust or cherry and the tip i can make it my neighbors tool shop but if i used cane arrows and weighted the tips with lets say wax, or lead balls. or both which foreshaft would be good  i am trying to saty away from the fiberglass one you can buy.i also am very good at knots due to my time in the Navy. and know how to make the tips and foreshaft stay on the line but was not sure on which materil the more i look the better the idea is becoming just need to know what to make it out of that is strong enough to get it done.
doc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 12:38:26 pm »
With a strong foreshaft wood(hickory, osage, locust, ipe, etc)you could make a toggle type head using the foreshaft for the toggle. Add a stone, bone or trade point to be more "primitive".  For a toggle type head just attach the line so when the foreshaft enters the fish it will turn sideways and hold fast inside the fish when you pull back on the line.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jturkey

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 02:23:05 pm »
Thanks Pat was thinking about using a spring off of a clothes pin for the tip like a friend has made for his allum. arrow for a possible survivail style tip just in case. but like the idea of toggle type heads i have sone extra antlers and bones hanging around so i'll use them as the  point
doc

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 03:11:55 pm »
Toggle points are a good idea. I did some research a couple years ago about gater hunting and that is a style that is used for that.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 06:18:10 pm »
River Cane shafts, 1 serrated trade point with clipped 20 penny nail behind for weight, 2nd arrow hand hammered barb from 20 penny nail epoxied to shaft. Not exactly primitive, but work great for me. plus they float. if i miss fiberglass dont.  :)
laugh. its good for ya

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 11:02:03 pm »
Amen Bro! Dem work good! Also Auggie and I use 3/8 oak dowels(leave em longer for weight) with store bought fish points or trade points. I use the heat gun to melt wax into the shaft... I shot an Asian carp this year that bout jerked me off a bridge and after several minutes of fightin my 100# test broke...a few minutes later my oak dowel floated back to me in tacked.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline wildman

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 11:26:46 pm »
I shoot 800-1000 fish a year and have never shot one with primitive gear. I am working on a primitive fish arrow for the spring I am going with a toggle style bone head cane arrow and locust foreshaft.Normally I shoot a 55# kingfisher and muzzy heads 200# line.I will post pics when done and maybe a video in action.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 12:13:13 am »
Not to rain on any parades but be SURE to check your state's game laws on bowfishing.

Here is Nebraska's rules for example...
"Arrows may have only one point, which must be barbed, and must be attached by a line to the bow at the time the arrow is released."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 01:54:30 am »
With a toggle type head the line attaches right to the head.

Offline jturkey

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 11:08:32 pm »
yes am thinking about a toggle style now thawt i have seen a few and here in mississippi it is legal to use. as long as you do not shoot what they have lited as game fish and i have taken many with my (cough) compound just wanted to try primitive after seeing the effect on the deer.
doc

Offline wildman

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 07:37:41 pm »
I sometimes have muzzys skip off gar from 50# bow I will try my primitive rig on carp here in Ky we have very leniant rough fish bow laws
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 07:48:35 pm »
 Cane arows around four feet long work pretty good, also. We used some that Claude VanOrder had made with points and foreshafts made from full length deer leg bone. It was sawed longways with one end fitted into the cane with pitch glue and the rest carved into a point with a series of barbs carved into one side. The arrows were so long the end would stick out of the water when the fish would swim.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?