Author Topic: fishing arrow???????  (Read 10380 times)

Offline Bill Skinner

Re: fishing arrow???????
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 09:35:30 pm »
Try using bone points.  I have made barbed points from the leg bone from cows that the dogs drug back to the house.  DO NOT USE A BONE WITH THE MARROW STILL IN IT !!!  When you cut that sucker open, the smell will gag a maggot!  Use one that has dried out.  Also, I cut  the ends off and then saw it lengthwise with a hack saw.  I then put it in a big pot and boil it for 20 minutes or so.  That way, when I am grinding on it and I inhale some dust, it doesn't have live critters on it.  I use hand tools, work outside, watch the wind, wear a dust mask and still end up with bone dust in my nose.  Bill

Offline aero86

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 10:18:55 pm »
are those unfletched?  if that long?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 11:30:02 pm »
 Fish arrows are so heavy, you don't need to fletch any of them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline aero86

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 11:47:40 pm »
thats what i was thinking.  ive got some long river cane  thats dried.  seems like a good use for them!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 01:15:24 am »
aero, the attached string creates enuff "drag" that you dont need fletching...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 10:20:36 am »
thanks for the ideas will let everyone know what i come up with. and will have pics
doc

Offline wildman

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 01:22:52 pm »
This arrow is 42in overall has a ash foreshaft 6in the head is cut from a front leg bone of a deer it is a N.A. patteren I got from a book . The head is attached to the shaft but pulls out fairly easy the cordage is tied in a groove at the base.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline PeteC

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 12:13:26 am »
Here's a little outfit I built ,and used successfully, a couple of years ago.The arrow is switchcane with a trade barb.The bow is E. Hophornbeam.I use it while wading to hunt tilapia. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 12:42:09 am »
That is a sweet set up Pete...gonna fire up the plasma cutter at work and make some of them style points...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline thomas h

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 12:28:37 pm »
thanks for the picture of the fish i have eaten a lot of those but  never seen one  out of the frozen bag from wallyworld. ;D  really  cool fish  looks  like a big blue-gill

Offline aero86

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 01:11:40 pm »
pete, do you fish with no line attached to the arrow?

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 01:46:00 pm »
pete, do you fish with no line attached to the arrow?

With that long of arrow, do you just pin em down to the bottom or bank?  >:D

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline wildman

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 02:12:35 pm »
Thats one mean looking point. All the pics of primitive fish arrows have been long that I have seen.I believe for weight and the fact that N.A. probably did just pin em down.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline PeteC

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:47 pm »
Yes,this rig I use with no line attached.I pin them to the bottom on short shots, or, just shoot them and go get them for longer shots.The tilapia can't swim real good with an arrow through them,although,you'll want to stick to small fish and shallow water,(where you can chase them down), if you don't want to lose too many.    It is a very fun hunt ;)     God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 01:11:29 am »
i like that point as well but i am going to have to put a line on mine not going to take a chance on a 30 + lbs carp or buffalo or even a small gar the water i'm in is deep as well sometime greater than 15-30 feet. but it would not be hard to put a line on it thats for sure.

doc