Author Topic: Knapping Folks "Roll Call"?  (Read 211386 times)

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
Re: Knapping Folks "Roll Call"?
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2016, 10:41:26 am »
I live in Roosevelt Northern Eastern Utah.
Northern Ute

Offline Dotzi

« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2016, 01:36:27 pm »
Hello everyone, I' m in Kingston, Ontario. Middling Knapper. Not far from Marc, but a ways from New Liskerd and T'under Bay! Closer to you upstate New Yorkers, I bet! My current quest is to locate some local rock called Trent Chert. Also on the lookout for some Ongwanada, but it's at the other end of the lake.

Offline Philthy

« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2016, 07:23:24 pm »
Thought I had posted here but I guess not.  Knapper, knife maker, and bowyer living in the middle of Delaware (lower slower Delaware) I don't know of any other knappers or knap ins in the area except for Oregon ridge in Maryland in May.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2016, 11:11:31 pm »
Brian from Harbor Beach,MI. Not much knappable rock here but I have found enough to make 3 arrow heads with from my farm. Best stuff I've found is chert balls from the limestone quarry really hard to work but supper durable points
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Birdpoint

« Reply #154 on: September 12, 2016, 08:52:04 am »
Kenny from SE of Kansas City MO. I just began knapping since spring. I'd like to meet other knappers in my area. I met a couple guys at our traditional bow club shoot this weekend. Sure is nice to visit with and learn from fellow knappers.

Offline StumblyRhino

« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2016, 10:54:52 pm »
I'm from east-central Wisconsin, halfway between Milwaukee and Green Bay.  I just started knapping last spring.  Been practicing on bottle bottoms, porcelain tiles from the Habitat for Humanity store, and a box of novaculite I eventually ordered online when I got sick of the glass and tiles.  A Californian twitter acquaintance also sent me some obsidian, but the're mostly round balls about the size of baseballs, and I don't know how to get into them.

My points aren't much to look at yet, but I'm learning a ton as I go, and slowly managing to hinge less often and get em skinnier.

A friend who studies such sites also gave me some samples of rocks taken from actual paleolithic quarry sites he was working at in the driftless area of Wisconsin.  The Hixton sandstone is very grainy and the others (I can't remember what they are) are very irregular and full of nodules.  All are well beyond my paltry knapping abilities at this point.

Go Badgers!

Offline Stoner

« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2016, 07:29:51 pm »
Just a relocation notice from the dry heat (myA$$) of Apache Junction, Arizona to Tuttle, Oklahoma. John

Offline CDC1911

« Reply #157 on: December 14, 2016, 10:56:41 am »
I am trying to figure out how to get started. Doing lots of reading online and searching Google. I would like to meet up with folks in the Tallahassee area to learn more.

Hey Mullet, I grew up in Lakeland and recently moved to N. Fla. Some days I miss my old stomping ground but I don't miss the I-4 traffic.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2016, 01:56:12 pm »
Check out the Silver Springs and Sopchoppy events in Feb. :)
Lots of real nice and talented folks. Even a Carpet-bagger or two. >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline CDC1911

« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2016, 05:40:48 pm »
Check out the Silver Springs and Sopchoppy events in Feb. :)
Lots of real nice and talented folks. Even a Carpet-bagger or two. >:D
Zuma

I plan to be at the Sopchoppy event. I need to watch someone and ask questions, just no sure where and how to start.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2016, 05:49:53 pm »
Well like most of us-- Hit one rock with another one. >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Flakescarred4life

« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2017, 08:31:40 pm »
Pinal County AZ. I hope there is someone near me! YouTube can't say "Stop!! What the hell are you doing!?" :-K :'( Having said that, I will take this oppotunity to give a shout out to a mentor who's taught me so very much, and whom I have never had the pleasure of meeting... I know him as a one "JackCrafty" Ya'll seem to know him as Patrick. My hats off to him!!  ;D :OK

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2017, 02:23:28 pm »
Flakescarred4Life glad to have you here. I learned almost everything I know about knapping from Patrick and a few others on you tube to. I actually really like bu hunter to. He helped me a lot. He has a way of explaining things that works for me and a pretty good since of humor to. Now I mostly learn from my failures and successes. Still learn something every time I make or break a point.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline TenkaraGrasshopper

• TenkaraGrasshopper
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2017, 12:59:52 am »
Still in South East Aurora, Colorado  :o Looking to order a knapping kit later this week.  :-K  :KN
Respect your elders!!!

Offline Youngun15

« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2019, 10:46:46 pm »
From Charleston SC, live a little further south now nearer Savannah River