Author Topic: First Kill (AZ Javelina)  (Read 6392 times)

Offline RabidApache

Re: First Kill (AZ Javelina)
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 10:46:36 am »
Thank you friends of the "wooden bow" clan ;). I had a blast from start to finish. From gathering cane, to blown-up bows (cedar) and the religious sharpening of the steel. It was wonderful and very fulfilling experience. I've taken other critters with my "wheel bow" ::) but harvesting from materials I gathered and put my heart and soul into it is an award in itself.
This is an excellent site,  Thanks fellas.
Forever making arrows!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 08:33:41 pm »
You did yourself proud.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 09:46:36 pm »
Hey Rabid Apache....how cool!  Reading your account of the hunt and hearing the pride in your craftsmanship is pretty great.  I don't have any of the "furry pigs" up here in Michigan but I do hope to complete my 1st selfbow this year and hopefully be as successful as you were...

Thanks for sharing...
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 12:27:22 am »
Damn....another TROLL found the Board....Look Out P.A.......... ;D

All joking aside Lee....Welcome Aboard...and anything you have a Question on...Ask...You will get all the free information you can use...good luck with the Bow...and next years Primitive Hunt
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 09:08:09 am »
Damn....another TROLL found the Board....Look Out P.A.......... ;D

All joking aside Lee....Welcome Aboard...and anything you have a Question on...Ask...You will get all the free information you can use...good luck with the Bow...and next years Primitive Hunt

I don't want to hijack RabidApache's thread but thanks for the warm welcome El Destructo.  I've been called worse, even by my mother  >:D  PA is a great "place" and has already proven very helpful to me.  Great folks here!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline PeteC

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 06:25:21 pm »
Congratulations RA on your first "self" kill. Going pig huntin' in the mornin' myself ;). God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Scowler

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 09:15:59 am »
Job well done. 

Offline stickbender

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 04:52:08 am »

Excellent !  Nice rig, and the pride of the hunt with the weapons you made your self shows.  A wheel bow has no spirit. ;)
I have read that Javalinas, or peccaries, can sometimes be nasty little critters to be around, and can be a bit dangerous.  I read about a hunt, where the guy said, you never really know for sure what they are going to do.  If they are in a large bunch, they may run at first sight, or scent of you, or they may charge.  I think I would have a back up, just in case it is the latter.  Do they taste like regular wild pig?  That looks just right for the grill!  Congratulations on a fine hunt.  It's always great when you are hunting with good friends.  Take care, and get some more, bush pigs!

Wayne

Offline Postman

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 03:48:03 pm »
Congrats, RA! great looking gear, too.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA