Author Topic: Gordon Wins January Self BOM!!!!  (Read 7578 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Gordon Wins January Self BOM!!!!
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:06:51 pm »
Gordon Fertlitsch of Tigard Oregon Wins Self Bow of the Month With His Yew Flatbow!

From Gordon:
Last fall I was hunting with Keenan in Central Oregon. On the last evening I went into my tipi and was surprised to find a bow stave laying across my sleeping bag.  It was yew wood and judging from the tight growth rings it had been harvested at high elevation.  But unfortunately it had several inches of natural deflex and some really gnarly looking knots and bumps. I grabbed the stave and wandered to the campfire where Keenan was sitting.  We sat quietly for a while and finally I looked at Keenan and asked him if he really expected me to make a bow from this stave.  Keenan reached over and handed me the most drop dead gorgeous yew bow I had ever set eyes upon.  I held the bow and then looked at Keenan and asked him where it came from. He was quiet for a moment, then a sly smile came across his face and he said that it came from a sister of the stave that I was holding. Well obviously that changed everything and I would have to somehow make a bow out of this rather homely stave.

The bow that I made is 60” ntn and pulls 55# @ 27”.  I took out some of the deflex near the handle and flipped the tips to give it more of an r/d profile.  I left the limbs a bit wide (1.5”) and made the belly just slightly elliptical to prevent as much set as possible. The tip overlays are black wood and the handle area is built up with yew and blood wood laminations. The handle is dyed elk-hide with a Strunk style wrap.  Total mass is 18.5 ounces.  It turns out that Keenan was right - don't pass up staves just because they are deflexed. There are some good bows in that wood!

Praise:
"now that is a work of art... and a bom winner !!"  -ken75
"Um... WOW?!!"  -Cameroo
"Gordon, I am speechless,  You had the harder of the two staves, and you pulled off an even more beautiful bow, with a masters touch. I think I could gaze at those pictures for hours and I can't wait to see it in person. Your skills as a master bowyer are evident in every detail of that challenging and incredible bow. The finish and profile came out excellent, and the full draw is sheer beauty. I absolutely love the side view of those bumps. I knew I handed that to the right person for the job. Well done my friend."  -keenan
"Every bow you put on here, you seem to outdo yourself.  Thats a true work of art. "  -bigcountry
"My heart started beating faster when i saw that bow, that's beautiful " -youngbowyer33

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline NTD

Re: Gordon Wins January Self BOM!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 11:20:09 pm »
Great Bow and well deserved win Gordon, obviously a lot of work went into this, and a nice story too.
Nate Danforth

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:50:06 am »
 Congratulations Gordon, Very well done my friend. ;)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:09:51 am »
I saw Keenans yew bow in the first primitive archer I had ever bought when i was very new to bowmaking.  and it really blew my mind.  Now i know a little more and have a little more experience, and that sister stave blows my minds equally!.  Thats one beaut of a bow, a BOM for sure :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline portlandfire

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 02:33:28 am »
Congratulations on a well deserved win.  I look forward to seeing both your bow and the sister bow of Keenans at the gathering in May.  Should be a great shoot-off!!

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 04:24:38 am »
Great job Gordon. You and Keenan really deserve that. My only criticism is you're making the rest of us Oregon boys look sloppy ;D Keep it up!!!
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 04:47:13 am »
Dang, my complaint is I ran out of words to compliment your work a looong time ago!
This one is really special even in your standards!
Frank from Germany...

Offline broketooth

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 05:20:52 am »
simply awesome, i aspire to be a bowyer at your level gordon. you ar a true artisan bowyer. ruddy

Offline Cooper

• "I believe in … surprise"
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 10:44:26 am »
Yes, a real beauty and deserved win. I wish I could make something similar …
Niels Böttcher - "Cooper" (PA) = "Botjer" (FC+FA)
"If this day wasn't your friend it was your teacher …"

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 02:37:05 am »
Thank you all so much for this honor.
Gordon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 12:02:17 pm »
Congrats Gordon,just beautiful,that's about all I can say. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Timo

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 03:17:30 pm »
Grats Gordon! I knew it when I seen it.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 12:20:03 pm »
 Well deserved win, It's a beautiful bow. Congratulations !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 03:08:00 pm »
Thank you all again for your nice compliments.
Gordon

youngbowyer

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 08:48:17 pm »
A well desserved win, beautiful bow!