Author Topic: Spiral cut cherry bark?  (Read 5300 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Spiral cut cherry bark?
« on: May 18, 2007, 01:16:31 pm »
Joe's recent cherry bark backing build-along got me thinking.  (Try saying that 10 times fast.)  I gather that the bark needs to be cut around the tree if it's to be used for strength.  Vertical strips would be weak and mostly ornamental, since the bark's grain is horizontal.  Right?

But what about cutting the bark spirally around the tree?  Seems to me this would allow you to get long continuous strips from a small tree or branch, assuming you could manage to strip it off that way.  The grain wouldn't be perfectly lined up with the direction of the bow, but nearly so.  Wouldn't this still provide plenty of strength and avoid wrapping splices?

Anybody out there ever try this?

-Tom

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Spiral cut cherry bark?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 01:21:42 pm »
I think I'd be leary of doing it that way. It would be simular to  grain violations in board bows. :o The cherry bark is quite strong and the violations in it's grain is where it would seperate.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Wellsy

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 01:15:11 am »
I've thought about doing it this way too.  I think that somebody should give it a try.  If you had a big enough tree I don't think the violations would be too serious.  Everybody says this stuff is strong.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 01:32:38 am »
It would be wonderful if it worked. That would allow for more cherry bark backings to be used. ;) Give it a try and let us know how it worked. Try it first on a wood slat so you don't chance ruining a bow. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

330bull

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 11:20:09 am »
Boy oh boy I would seriously bet that to be a futile endeavor but...Go for it of you like!

I just cut a ton of bitter cherry bark yesterday on our property while cutting some firewood so I'll give it a shot and report out on the ability to even cut it.

Joe

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 10:27:35 am »
Well, nobody totally shot it down, so it sounds like another experiment for my list.  Joe - if you learn anything working with that cherry, I'm all ears.

330bull

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 03:37:47 pm »
I ran out of time but I'll make sure to "experiment" in the next few weeks.

duffontap

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 04:50:41 pm »
According to "Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast," coastal Natives routinely cut bitter cherry bark that way.  I don't think there would be too serious of a strength issue but I don't think you would find too many trunk sections that would be worth the effort of spiral-cutting.  I concentrate on clean sections when I cut it.  It has been on my to-try list for a couple years.   :P

J. D. Duff