Author Topic: Red Osier and Wild Rose ID  (Read 15028 times)

Offline DanaM

Red Osier and Wild Rose ID
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:37:07 pm »
Is this Red Osier, I hope so as their is tons around here. Pic 1-3

Wild Rose? pic4 &5 Has thorns leaves look like rose and found a few of what looked like rose hips.

DanaM

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Red Osier and Wild Rose ID
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 01:47:22 pm »
Looks like them to me. The dogwood definitely has dogwood leaves. Look for stems that are at least 2 years old. They will have small branches on then instead of just leaves and the stem color will be a darker red or almost gray in color.  Cut them where the base(big end) is at least 3/8" in diameter. A 3/8" open end wrench is a good measuring tool for this.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 01:53:09 pm »
Thanks Pat I cut a few already gonna get more.

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 11:31:32 am »
Went looking for some arra materials after work yesterday. Cut about 30 red osier and also found a few wild rose shoots.
Oh yea and 4 ticks. ;D

Dana

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 11:50:26 am »
Would you guys quit talking about ticks. YUCK  I would sooner be in a cave with 20 rattle snakes than have a tick crawl on my neck.  :P Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 01:19:48 pm »
Would you guys quit talking about ticks. YUCK  I would sooner be in a cave with 20 rattle snakes than have a tick crawl on my neck.  :P Justin

But that's not a fair comparison- rattle snakes taste good and make an awsome backing, I don't even know how you would skin a tick ;D!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 01:37:18 pm »
Kegan, you put them on a large flat smooth surface and hit them with the largest hammer you can find.  It empties the exoskeleton pretty good.  It might take a few to do a bow though. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 09:36:19 pm »
I can see it now Tick backed character bow, probably have to use bloodwood eh ;D

Dana

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 10:34:10 pm »
 :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D........bob

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 04:37:00 am »

But that's not a fair comparison- rattle snakes taste good and make an awsome backing, I don't even know how you would skin a tick ;D!

Now that was funny!
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 06:10:52 am »
yep, thats red osier

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 01:54:16 pm »
Here's a pic of some recently collected red osier shoots. The small bundle is rose.

Dana

[attachment deleted by admin]

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 03:17:04 pm »
Now you're cooking.  ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

makete

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 01:51:47 am »
Are you guys saying that Red Osier makes good arras? Roses too? Dana what other plants do we have here in the U.P. that makes arras? Thanks

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 11:12:28 am »
Welcome to the site makete, I'm new to building bows but they tell me red osier, wild rose, hardwood shoots, viburnium(Spelling)
all make good arrows. Look back and read the older posts and you will find lots of info.

Dana

Manistique, MI