Author Topic: Tung Oil for bow finish???  (Read 14739 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Tung Oil for bow finish???
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:54:51 pm »
Anybody use BEHR tung oil as finish for your bows, either self or backed?

I was going to use leather dye and cover with spray SPAR varnish on this bow of mine, but I'm now thinking it'll look nice with just a clear or slightly amber oil finish over the hickory backing.

IS this enough protection on it's own? Could I apply spar spray over it to seal???

Long weekend up here and time to finish my bow. pics later.

Offline DanaM

Re: Tung Oil for bow finish???
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 01:56:10 pm »
Tru Oil will work nicely I don't like the sprays myself.

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 04:19:22 pm »
I have Formby's tung oil finish that I am going to use on my yew war bow. I believe that it has a dryer added so it will give a protective coating. I think tung oil gives a deep finish that looks really good. It really kicks the grain. ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 06:12:54 pm »
Yeah PAt...this oil has some added wax according to the label..So I suppose that would help build up a finish on the surface while the oil goes deeper.

I've already gone ahead and applied a coating of Feibling's leatehr dye...it looks really good in my eye.....how long should I leave it before applying the Tung oil?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 09:23:43 pm »
You will probably lift some of the dye when you apply the first coat. It shouldn't hurt anything. If it is like the Formby's there is a petroleum carrier mixed in. The Feibing's will dry pretty quickly. it is alcohol based and when that evaporates it is dry. You might want to wipe it down good with a soft rag first to pick up any dye residue. You should be able to apply the finish at anytime after.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 09:23:45 pm »

I'd give the dye at least several days to a week before sealing over it to allow any moisture to escape. I put four coats of tung oil on my last bow, then another several coats of tru-oil over the top of that. I was pleased with the results. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 10:22:27 pm »
What kind of drying time does the formbys tung oil have, I nearly used it on the bow I'm finishing right now, instead I used spray tru-oil finish on it. I would like to try the tung oil though. Also, how many coats is required?
VB

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 11:06:39 pm »
Greg, did it build up glossy? A coat of paste wax should knock it down some right?  Not that it matters, as this is only a target bow, not hunting weight...30lb @28".

A week seems a long time to wait before putting on the oil....As Pat says, the dye is alcohol based, so should dry fairly fast I thought.

I'd like to get the finish done this weekend if possible...but I won't rush it if it means trouble down the road! I gotta make a leather rest anyhow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 11:36:46 am »
The Formby's tung oil says to allow 12 hours before continuing. I added the first coat yesterday and will add another today early. Later this afternoon I will start with Tru-Oil and do 4 or 5 coats of it. I haven't used the Formby's oil much so I'm only guessing but if it is like Tru-Oil, the drying time seems to be less with each coat added. Maybe it is the small amounts that are used once a coating layed down.   Pat

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 12:15:34 pm »
Instructions say after applying wait 15 min. before wiping off the excess and 1 hour between coats,.
3-4 coats for exterior protection.

MattE

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 08:36:00 am »
Tung oil works well. You can add several coats for protection and gloss. Each coat increases the gloss. I like to apply it with my bare fingers, this way it leaves no streaks. If the gloss is not to your liking, use oooo steel wool to knock it down. Formbys tung oil is fine but costly. You can buy a pint of Tung oil from your local paint store for the price of six ounces from Formbys.   

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 08:43:12 am »
To be honest, I was thinking of the dye as I would a stain. With the alcohol base, you should be able to seal over it much sooner. Just was thinking about keeping the wood dry before sealing. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 09:49:49 am »
Guys...yesterday was very rainy up here, so I worked around the house and took time out to apply several coats of tung oil to the bow. Yea, it did lift a bit of the dye, but you really can't tell except for the stain on the cloth.

Left it overnight with 4 coats, and plan on a couple more today. It's nicer out and I need to catch up outside.

The oil seems to do a nice job...very easy to use and leaves a nice even finish....I think I like it better than any spray or brush on poly I've used...Always afraid of leaving drips and draps with both....I never used tung oil for anything before, and I've seen the light! :)