Author Topic: sinew bowstring technique question/s  (Read 3062 times)

Offline luke the drifter

sinew bowstring technique question/s
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:57:48 pm »
i know how to do the reverse twist/flemish braid technique.  i get my strands prepared.  do i make my loop more towards the end of the bundle and twist the remainder into the longer strands and work from there or do i start my loop in the center of the bundle?  i looked at the how-to on doing this and i could not see where he started.  splicing is another matter.  i know i could do it.  i just want to make sure i start correctly and have the right technique.  any advice or videos? 

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: sinew bowstring technique question/s
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:18:25 pm »
I always start toward the end of the bundle and twist the remainder into the longer strands.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 08:30:46 am »
i thank you for your advice.  i can probably figure out the rest with trial and error. by the way and i know this is a long time coming, your string itself and the quality that is evident is really good.  i hope that mine will turn out that way.

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:14:51 pm »
well i got another question about twisting and splicing.  let us say that you are going along and before you realize it you have a 2 to 4 inch section that thinner than the rest of what you have done already.  Can you interlace some pieces of sinew into the twist to re-enforce it and make it about the same as the other? i was thinking about that driving home from work one evening.  is there another solution other than what i mentioned?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 02:20:18 am »
The only way I know how to fix the problem of the string not being thick enough is to unwind the thin part of the string, add more sinew, and re-twist.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr