Author Topic: r/d?  (Read 3790 times)

jamie

r/d?
« on: May 20, 2007, 08:42:03 pm »
question on r/d design. i find most of my flatbows have a 1/4" taper. do those of you who are experienced in building r/d bows find the same thing or is it more or less pronounced? thanks

Offline snedeker

Re: r/d?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 11:12:52 am »
Hypothetically, since one is dealing with concentrated reflex  farther out on the limbs, one might end up with a steeper gradient from handle to tip.  I have just about finished a 56" HBO r/d in which there was even some negative tiller going on to account for over reflexing.  I'll be showing some pics of this soon, I haven't done many of these and this one is only a partial success at best.  Has a wierd profile.

Dave

Offline tom sawyer

Re: r/d?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 01:32:41 pm »
Never really measured it, but I'm thinking it'll be a little more of a taper since the inner limb will bend slightly less (its already pointed in the direction it is bending) and the reflexed area will be thinner since its under more stress.  It might not be a noticeable difference in thickness since a little goes a long way.  Getting the refelxe darea bending properly is tricky, it is stiff stiff stiff and then when you hit the spot it goes real fast.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO