Author Topic: Explain your screen name?  (Read 28262 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Re: Explain your screen name?
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2011, 05:26:50 pm »
Back when I was in high school my brothers and one of my cousins always spent the evenings playing poker. We all came up with some kind of a knickname, like Taco, Maddog, Paco, and mine was Commadore.
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline johnston

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2011, 08:30:59 pm »
Started to use " The Bald Wonder" or simply "Redneck" but decided not to brag.

Lane

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2011, 09:33:08 pm »
Started using koan cuz i heard the internet wasnt a safe place, lol..koan is a riddle with no answer so you can clear your thoughts for proper meditation( use to practice Buddhism)...now I just use beer...and I cant figure out how to change it to just Brian, lol
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline dismount

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2011, 12:54:29 am »
I do primitive buckskinning rendesvouz. One time we had a horse camp and my horse went south on me so a guy had a mule but no saddle. had to use my big saddle on a skinny mule and right in the middle of showin' off for some touristas, the saddle slid under his belly and me, gun powder horn fell off. So my camp name was dismount. The dang mule was a killer I tell ya', a killer.  Phil

Offline iowabow

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2011, 02:14:20 am »
I got a good laugh out of that hehe... dismount thats a great one!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2011, 02:40:24 am »
n2huntn, my email for many years n2huntn@mchsi.com. Fits nicely on a liscense plate too!!
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Jesse

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2011, 02:54:03 am »
Jamie----- I can relate. Jesse can be a girls name as well. I moved around a lot as well and was a fighter as a youngster. I didnt really like fighting but I always ended up in one ;D  When I moved back from Africa I had a pretty strong accent for a few years so I have always kinda been an outsider. Sometimes people call me Jess but I like my name "Jesse". In the Bible it was King Davids father's name. :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Traxx

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2011, 03:23:58 am »
Old Grandad started callin me Traxx,cause i was allways followin tracks.the 2 x's on the end represent tracks.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2011, 03:25:45 am »
Later i learned of an ancestor,who was called,Tracks the enemy.

Grunt

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2011, 10:22:05 am »
My screen name is my actual first name. The story behind that is lame, but true. My parents hated nicknames such as James = Jim, David = Dave, Lawrence = Larry, etc. And, they wanted a one syllable name. Thus, my first name is Dane, which means basically “man from Denmark.” I think they found it in a baby naming book, as it wasn’t some dusty old tradition in the family.

I can relate totally to Jamie and his name. I got ragged a lot years back for having a “girl’s” name. And, no one seems to get it right. 9 times out of 10, it is misspelled or completely changed to something else.

Regarding Grunt’s explanation on the origin of the term Grunt, I served as a grunt, which in Army parlance is an 11 Bravo. The USMC has another designator for that MOS. Everyone not an infantryman is (or was in my day) known as a REMF, but I think the term pougue is now what the guys on AD use. In line units, REMFs are really not well thought of.

No one is sure what the origin of the term is, it probably originated during Vietnam, but we understood it to mean we humped a LOT. Humping is carrying a very heavy load, usually on your back in your handy ruck. Since I was RTO, I also had the PRC77, which alone will make you grunt after a few days in the field. Add the rest, the rats and the M16 or M203 or mortar tube, ammo, two to four canteens, extra socks, all the rest, and you really start to grunt, and eventually, any other form of verbal communication is pretty much impossible, nor desired.

One story says that grunt is an acronym for “government reject, unfit for normal training.” :) And considering that there were tons of stupid jokes about things being “infantry proof,” a lot of our non-infantry fellow soldiers maybe did really think infantrymen were stupid or low-speed. More colorful terms really do apply more appropriately to grunts, though. :) Some not so flattering, of course.

Which leads me to my little anecdote when I had to go into the local police station to be interviewed as part of the process to get a license to carry in my state. I asked if I was still required to do the firearms class they make you take in MA, and if my time in service could be used to waive that requirement. The LT laughed and said yeah, you do, even though you probably shoot better than all of my guys. I laughed and said probably, but I was trained to waste everything and then hold the position, so the class is probably a good idea.

Dane

I knew there we other men on this site who have earned the title"Grunt"

Offline Stoker

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2011, 12:53:41 pm »
My Favorite part about hunting and shooting is sausage day. Our group has been together for 22yrs. One of my main jobs is to run the smokehouse I be the stoker. The first couple of bows I built were maple and chokecherry didn't turn out but the chicken was good.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Dane

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2011, 04:27:52 pm »
My screen name is my actual first name. The story behind that is lame, but true. My parents hated nicknames such as James = Jim, David = Dave, Lawrence = Larry, etc. And, they wanted a one syllable name. Thus, my first name is Dane, which means basically “man from Denmark.” I think they found it in a baby naming book, as it wasn’t some dusty old tradition in the family.

I can relate totally to Jamie and his name. I got ragged a lot years back for having a “girl’s” name. And, no one seems to get it right. 9 times out of 10, it is misspelled or completely changed to something else.

Regarding Grunt’s explanation on the origin of the term Grunt, I served as a grunt, which in Army parlance is an 11 Bravo. The USMC has another designator for that MOS. Everyone not an infantryman is (or was in my day) known as a REMF, but I think the term pougue is now what the guys on AD use. In line units, REMFs are really not well thought of.

No one is sure what the origin of the term is, it probably originated during Vietnam, but we understood it to mean we humped a LOT. Humping is carrying a very heavy load, usually on your back in your handy ruck. Since I was RTO, I also had the PRC77, which alone will make you grunt after a few days in the field. Add the rest, the rats and the M16 or M203 or mortar tube, ammo, two to four canteens, extra socks, all the rest, and you really start to grunt, and eventually, any other form of verbal communication is pretty much impossible, nor desired.

One story says that grunt is an acronym for “government reject, unfit for normal training.” :) And considering that there were tons of stupid jokes about things being “infantry proof,” a lot of our non-infantry fellow soldiers maybe did really think infantrymen were stupid or low-speed. More colorful terms really do apply more appropriately to grunts, though. :) Some not so flattering, of course.

Which leads me to my little anecdote when I had to go into the local police station to be interviewed as part of the process to get a license to carry in my state. I asked if I was still required to do the firearms class they make you take in MA, and if my time in service could be used to waive that requirement. The LT laughed and said yeah, you do, even though you probably shoot better than all of my guys. I laughed and said probably, but I was trained to waste everything and then hold the position, so the class is probably a good idea.

Dane

I knew there we other men on this site who have earned the title"Grunt"

I had thought about using grunt as a screen name, actually. Of all the accomplishments I’ve done in life, serving as a grunt is one of my proudest achievements. I know you Corps guys have different uniform standards and regs, but in the Army, only the infantryman earns the right to wear the blue cord and blue branch disk backings for the Class A uniform coat lapels. I recall when I injured my leg and was finally re-classed out of combat arms and into an admin position how painful it was to take that stuff of my blouse. I had planned to re-up and ask for Korea and DMZ duty for my next tour, but 11-series were closed to me at that point, and that was the reason I had gone in. Kind of bitter too that I had orders for the 101st Airborne Division when I was finished with my tour in Germany. Instead, I ended up at a med hold unit until surgery and recovery were complete.

There is at least one other brother Grunt around. One poster I haven’t seen in a long time is Pepe Lepe. He did the same job as I did in Germany, a nuclear warhead custodial agent. German Pershings, US warheads. Our German comrades fielded the really old IAs, his were Pershing IIs.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline iowabow

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2011, 07:26:05 pm »
I did four years Airforce (stop laughting). I completed basic and went to military police training with marines. At that time the army was no longer going to provide support around the base so the airforce came up with a combat unit formed from the ranks of the SP and 1% of the cops had to go to combat (at an army camp) training. I thought that was funny till they called my name. Out of the room onto a bus and off I went.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Dane

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2011, 12:01:05 am »
Chair Force, aka Zoomies. If they caught us with our hands in our pockets in uniform, you'd get yelled at ...."Air Force Gloves".  :)

Truth be told, most Army folks are jealous of you AF folks. I was too. We figured you guys really were smarter than us, particularly at chow time. Army chow is about the worst thing you can imagine, but even worse than that.

So, what happened next? Did you train at Benning? How did it work out? And did you like eating dirt?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2011, 03:53:44 am »
I chose this screen name years ago back when AIM and AOL were a big hit when I was in 7th grade.  Used it ever since for emails and anything online pretty much.

I'm 100% Vietnamese...got an older brother named Viet...I was born 18 months later and named Nam.  Usually on forums I just go by Azn.

As for the numbers...just a random number I chose.  The only meaning the 4's have is that 4 is my favorite number.

nothing exciting here lol.