Author Topic: Explain your screen name?  (Read 28352 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: Explain your screen name?
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2011, 11:17:09 am »
Well I finished the combat training at a camp in Texas that was used in WWII as a prison camp. I think the name was Camp Bolus. After like 13 weeks of that I received orders to my duty base. When I arrived they told me that the combat training that I received need to be upgraded so I shipping out to Little Rock for an addition 2 weeks of combat training. When I returned to the base the combat unit was sent out for another 2 weeks in the field for combat tactics. I thought I would never see normal military life (by air force standards). We returned to the Base and the Base Commander wanted our unit to compete in a combat tactics competition so they selected 9 men to train and TDY to other bases for the events. I think I did combat training till I just dreamed it. My team competed with other branches and other nations. I won 2 place once in the M60 competition. When you are a grunt you get cold, wet, tired, hungry, treated like dirt, and when you finish digging a fox hole and you make it home they will pull out and set up in another place. Playing war games was fun but getting called in and watching a plane put up to take you into combat is not.  I was lucky and the orders changed at the last minute. I did enjoy it because I only remember the good times. I fell a sleep once in a plowed cornfield that had been rained on for 3 days, it was just mud and I was grateful for the opportunity.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline medievalhamster

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2011, 02:38:58 pm »
For a good long while the forums i frequented my handle was ApocalypticHamster mostly because it made me giggle at the idea of a hamster causing the end of the world.

When gmail came out I decided to switch to that from my ISPs email service. Alas, ApocalypticHamster was already taken. So I had to think of another word that would incite a chuckle when combined with hamsters and since I had a quasi job as a film guy for a renn faire staged fighting crew i picked medieval and have stuck with it since.
Sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2011, 02:44:26 pm »
i shoot a recurve.  :D
lets just shoot it

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2011, 03:10:25 pm »
My first name is Greg...my last name starts with a "B"...thus the screen name "GregB"!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Barrage

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2011, 04:58:55 pm »
Not very interesting.  Barrage as in a barrage of arrows.  I had it before for online things and just used it when I came here.
Travis

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2011, 06:33:03 pm »
I forgot ....when I first got on the Board....I wanted My Moniker to be ...Da Yooper.....but some dipstick from Manistique Michigan already cobbed on to that Moniker.....so I took what all the Mexicans at work call me.....Yankee Tejas.....then I got tired of explaining it.....so I changed it to what you see now....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Dane

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2011, 07:05:08 pm »
Thanks for the info. It brings back memories. I was a pig gunner more than once, RTO, M203 gunner, rifleman, and my platoon's mess hall rep. :) I cant tell you how many muddy roads and fields I ended up crashing in, the many ways to make a M113 more home-like, the best pogie bait to take to the field, surviving in the barracks on a Friday night, and how weird it was to see regular headlights the first night back from a long FTX.

We do tend to remember the good times and block the bad ones out, so maybe there is some nostalgia when I look back on the day, but I wouldn't trade a second of it for anything. Those folks who never served missed out on something fundamental and important. Except for squids, maybe :)

Dane

Well I finished the combat training at a camp in Texas that was used in WWII as a prison camp. I think the name was Camp Bolus. After like 13 weeks of that I received orders to my duty base. When I arrived they told me that the combat training that I received need to be upgraded so I shipping out to Little Rock for an addition 2 weeks of combat training. When I returned to the base the combat unit was sent out for another 2 weeks in the field for combat tactics. I thought I would never see normal military life (by air force standards). We returned to the Base and the Base Commander wanted our unit to compete in a combat tactics competition so they selected 9 men to train and TDY to other bases for the events. I think I did combat training till I just dreamed it. My team competed with other branches and other nations. I won 2 place once in the M60 competition. When you are a grunt you get cold, wet, tired, hungry, treated like dirt, and when you finish digging a fox hole and you make it home they will pull out and set up in another place. Playing war games was fun but getting called in and watching a plane put up to take you into combat is not.  I was lucky and the orders changed at the last minute. I did enjoy it because I only remember the good times. I fell a sleep once in a plowed cornfield that had been rained on for 3 days, it was just mud and I was grateful for the opportunity.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline iowabow

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2011, 11:26:27 pm »
you can really tell a difference in people  who did serve and did not when you are working as a group.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2011, 01:43:16 am »
you can really tell a difference in people  who did serve and did not when you are working as a group.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Dane

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2011, 09:53:44 am »
That I think can be true. The discipline you learn from military service is one aspect. Knowing how to push yourself to extreme limits is another. And learning to work in the kind of team enviroment the military operates under from top to bottom is another. Not just infantry or armor or other line units, ships, etc, your life can literally depend upon those in your fire team or squad or section, and you have others counting on you to do your job no matter what.

I found college to be much easier to deal with and excel in after I got out, and other aspects of life as well, like marriage and jobs...you know, sacrifice, lol.

Guys, this thread is about screen names. Sorry if I helped divert the topic.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline iowabow

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2011, 10:14:51 am »
It might be fun to see how many vets we have so I will start a thread in around the campfire

Also sorry about running the thread another direction. (just proud to serve)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2011, 02:38:05 pm »
Mine is pretty straight forward. Not only am I covered in tattoos, but I am also a tattoo artist. If I'm not flinging sticks, I'm flinging ink around. ;D

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2011, 05:37:07 pm »
Back in the day I got stuck with 3 other engineers,2from Ft. Wayne,and one from Toledo and their 1st names were also Mike. So went by my midname Augustus,hince Auggie. Boring eh?
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2011, 05:54:46 pm »
Dern Auggie. I always thought you were part of the cartoon team, Auggie Doggie and Doggie Daddy!  ;D  But Augustus! Sheesh...
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2011, 11:49:13 pm »
 Hell; I thought you misspelled it and you were an Aggie, from Texas. I was being polite and didn't want to embarrass you. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?