Author Topic: points pics  (Read 20009 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
points pics
« on: May 20, 2007, 11:04:03 pm »
FINALLY got a little time to beat on a rock or two, about forgotten how to lol.  Made these two. The white one is a Hardaway side-notch, a local late paleo/transitional archaic point type. It's made from local quartzite with hammerstone, wooden billet, and a whack or two with an antler. I'm proud of this'un, one of the better points I've made from local rock-that Appalachian quartzite is tough stuff to knap. I also made a replica of a point that a six-year-old Clovis kid playing with his dad's knapping tools might have made lol. It's made from some of Justin's Utah obsidian. I like trying to replicate local points with local rock-I've seen original Hardaways made from the same type of material that this one is, except theirs looked better.

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: points pics
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »
Nice looking points hillbilly. If yours look like points that a 6 year old made. Mine must be the points of a 3 year old taught by that same 6 year old.  :-[ Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 01:18:02 am »
I'd hunt with either of them. ;) Nice Steve. That quartzite is tough stuff...if you can find some decent stuff to work with. Nice long "Clovis" scar there too.   PBS had the history of lithics in The Americas the other night. It was a rerun but still interesting. Was the Clovis the offspring of the Salutrien(sp) point? ???    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dustybaer

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 02:28:12 am »
they look like pieces of art to me.  ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 07:58:22 am »
Dang Hillbilly nice work there if ya feel their not up to your usual standards I'm sure their is good home for them somewhere. ;)

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:59:17 am »
Very nice Hillbilly,you do some fine work.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 11:37:02 am »
Thanks, guys. Pat, yeah, that quartzite's really variable. I'd like to have a house-sized boulder of this particular type. It would make really good hunting points, breaks razor sharp (I've got a nice deep slice on my hand to prove it lol). Justin, I'm trying to get the hang of working the obsidian, you sure can't draw back and whack it like this tough rhyolite and such stuff that I'm used to. :)  I'll send some of it back your way when I get some more time and get it figured out.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Dingleberry

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 12:09:41 pm »
Nice Work,  you think you could teach me some of them skills at hickory. :)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 01:24:19 pm »
Jonathan, the best thing for you to do at Hickory is ignore me and watch James Parker and Barry McCall.  :) Those dudes are awesome knappers- watching them knap is where I've picked up most of what little bit I know. A little less beer, Beam, and white lightnin' helps, too  ;D You whacked on any of that obsidian yet?
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 01:41:53 pm »
          Really "kuell" points Steve ! I luvs hardaways next to dalton's and cahokia's ! Did i say I luvs hardaways ? ;D Wish I could make it to Hickory this year, Iam sure there will be much to see and appreciate......bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 02:53:31 pm »
I hear you Hillbilly. I got to where I could turn out a point consistently.  Then I quit knapping for a while.  Now it seems like every time I pick up a piece of obsidian I make sand. It gets really frustrating at times. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 03:57:17 pm »
  Those are some good looking points Steve.I've been wacking on some of that Ryolite James gave me.I'm kinda, sorta ,startin' to like it.Try antler on the obsidean,it likes it more than sticks.Hey get time to work on some bows?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 04:26:55 pm »
Eddie, we might get you hooked on real rock yet. I'll trade you a load of good quartz for some of that ol' junky Flint river stuff just to help you out.  ;D Yeah, I use antler on the obsidian. Only thing I use wood on is quartzite, grainy rhyolite, and limestone. After I get back from Hickory this weekend I'll get back to bow buildin, I promise :) I've worked on Justin's some, got it ready to brace, shouldn't take long to finish tillering.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 07:22:51 pm »
  I'm kinda short on ol' junky rock.The stuff I have breaks too easy. 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 08:16:09 pm »
You guys make it sound like the rock breaking easy is a bad thing.  I like it that way. The more you break the more I can trade you for other stuff.  ;) Justin

SW Utah