Author Topic: show us your tools  (Read 4824 times)

Offline iowabow

show us your tools
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:06:29 pm »
Can you show us your tools and and maybe include size i.e. 1 inch bopper etc..
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:36:30 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: show us your tools
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:44:15 pm »
I am trying to make a new pressure flaking pad. I watched the video for beginners by paleomanjim and I like the idea of a pad with a metal back on it. He said that it helped to keep the pad from flexing. I found 2 foot of that rubber pad material that looks like a conveyor belt. I plan on jb welding the rubber pad to the plate. I just don't know how thick or high the pad should be? The material I have is  3/8
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:51:17 pm by iowabow »

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:54:48 pm »
I only use a slotted rubber pad when i am thinning the base of a point like a lostlake, calf creek, or pinetree. Or when i really need a long deep pressure flack to remove some junk. The rest of my pressure flaking is done with a leather pad with no slots. I Think your maintain a better cross section when pressure flaking with a leather pad, But the slotted rubber pads have there uses too.
 When i use the slotted rubber i just place it on top of my leather hand pad. Never tried a piece of metal, never had a need for it.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 11:21:31 pm »
OK great info thank you. I have a lot of this so I can make a solid one also so I can see the effect.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 11:51:17 pm »
 I have a slotted rubber piece on a piece of wood. I only use it when I'm pressure flakeing slabs and want the flakes to run and stop in the center.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 12:02:06 am »
I have a slotted rubber piece on a piece of wood. I only use it when I'm pressure flakeing slabs and want the flakes to run and stop in the center.
So when you are working on a point you use a leather pad on you hand like leapingbear. I seem to apply a lot of pressure before the point releases and put the copper in my hand.  You can see it in the photo above just at the edge of the plate as the palm starts. How thick is the pad in your hand?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 12:05:11 am »
I only use a slotted rubber pad when i am thinning the base of a point like a lostlake, calf creek, or pinetree. Or when i really need a long deep pressure flack to remove some junk. The rest of my pressure flaking is done with a leather pad with no slots. I Think your maintain a better cross section when pressure flaking with a leather pad, But the slotted rubber pads have there uses too.
 When i use the slotted rubber i just place it on top of my leather hand pad. Never tried a piece of metal, never had a need for it.
I'm going to work the points this weekend in this way.. sounds good. thank you

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 01:17:04 am »
Remember to use your legs to pop off the flakes. Press the copper tip on the platform with your upper body and pop off the flake with the legs.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 10:09:16 am »
With the ishi stick or the short handle also. I read that the copper should be shaped like a pencil but  rounded on the tip is that what you prefer?

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:05:25 pm »
Thats with both ishi and short handled pressure flaker's.
How ever i sometimes don't use my legs when using the short handled ones.
 I pound mine with a hammer to make a pyramid tip. if its to sharp it will bend.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 02:10:33 pm »
Here's an old picture i took of my boppers and ishi's. Copper is anywhere from around 1 1/2" to 1/2". You can see my rubber hand pad there, i jb welded metal plate to the back of it for the same reason. I did swedge out some copper caps and made that kind of boppers once but they didn't last very long hitting this perd i have here. These solid copper one's will most likely last a lifetime..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 03:13:42 pm »
that larger copper bopper looks cool. With the price of copper today that would cost a little.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 08:35:53 pm »
They are a bit pricey, you have to buy em by the pound. I lucked out and found these at a metal mart in El Paso. they were remnants. You might try scrap yards for big buss bars and stuff like that.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 08:54:57 pm »
OK good call

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 02:29:09 am »
I have a very cool neighbor and he made this today for my birthday.