Author Topic: red cedar backed w/sinew?  (Read 6235 times)

econner

red cedar backed w/sinew?
« on: May 21, 2007, 10:16:12 pm »
I found a place that sells ERC for decking. A couple pieces were edge ringed and approximately 15'. My mouth started watering. Can I sinew back this lumber? I have wanted to try an ERC flatbow for a while, but haven't been able to find any trees that look likely to work because of knots, twist, etc. A few of these boards were totally clean. I don't have a moisture meter, and am concerned about the moisture wicking interaction of sinew and Knox with cedar with unknown moisture content.  Also, since it was edge ringed do I want a higher concentration of heartwood or sapwood?

Offline tom sawyer

Re: red cedar backed w/sinew?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:34:25 am »
I would personally opt for the heartwood, just for the aesthetics.  I don't think there is all that much difference between the properties of the two.

Moisture wicks into any stave that is sinew-backed, you simply need to give it sufficient time to dry back out.  That means weeks, not days.  Not to say you can't pull the bow after a couple of weeks of drying, but it will continue to dry over the course of several weeks.  If the ERC has been kilned hard it might be brash, but today's kilning technolgy generally produces satisfactory bow wood.

Sure you can sinew back ERC.  It should behave something like juniper which was a preferred wood for sinew-backed bows on the West coast.  It should be a really nice bow in fact.  People have made selfbows out of ERC, so a sinew-backed bow is certainly a possibility.  Good eye for finding the wood, and good luck on the bow.  Be sure and use a deisgn that is specific for sinew-backing, that is, shorter than an unbacked bow could survive.  Thats where sinewed bows excel.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: red cedar backed w/sinew?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 12:41:00 pm »
Glenn Doane made a sinew backed ERC heartwood bow last year. I would think, because of its light physical weight and good compression strength it would be excellent for sinew backing. And by the way, it is a true Juniper(Juniperus virginiana) and not a cedar.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC