Author Topic: what size tips  (Read 7660 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
what size tips
« on: February 23, 2011, 07:49:47 pm »
i was just wondering, if i were to build a warbow, and i had horn or antler tips on it, what are the largest i could buy, as i am planning on this one being a BIG one, with the tips approximately 1 1/4 by 1 1/4inches and ost horn tips i see are 1/2 inch holes, would it be better just to do a large overlay with antler or horn, and which would be better for an overlay
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: what size tips
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:54:43 pm »
You can make your own horn nocks. Just fet some cow horn tips and drill them out to fit. Overlays will be easier and just as effective.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:59:48 pm »
You can make your own horn nocks. Just fet some cow horn tips and drill them out to fit. Overlays will be easier and just as effective.
ok i think ill go with the overlays, it will also be easier since this will be a board bow, i could put some nice antler overlays and not have to worry about splitting and still have it look cool
thanks
noel

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:21:49 pm »
You're not going to want your tips to be larger than 1/2" wide. If you keep them at 1 1/4" square they're going to be as big as your handle.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:31:44 pm »
You're not going to want your tips to be larger than 1/2" wide. If you keep them at 1 1/4" square they're going to be as big as your handle.
they wont be square, its going to be more a a d section, and these were just approximate, it is also going to be hopefully in the 160-200lb range, and don't worry i have big hands, i have one bow that is 2 wide at the handle and 1thick
thanks
noel

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 09:37:32 pm »
would these work for an overlay, or as a full tip
  and no i wont use the whole thing, i will be cuting in half then shapeing to my needs, the part im wondering about is the stuff in the center, will it still work with it there, or should i get rid of it or does it disapear near the tip
thanks
noel
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:32:22 am by fishfinder401 »

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 10:46:26 pm »
before you look at these, i am seriously considering using the full antlers as tips
so how would this look on an 80in 160-200lb bow >:D

noel
ps: i know i cant show products from companies not advertising on the site and im not sure if this falls into that category, if so remove, i don't mind, i don't want to be doing something i shouldn't
thankyou
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:31:49 am by fishfinder401 »

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 03:42:38 am »
these are some of the ones i wanted to try, i hope this works

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 06:05:41 am »
Horn tips are a pain in the backside to make. Simple overlays are just as effective, but if you want a more 'traditional' look for a longbow then do the horn nock thing.
My personal opinion is that overlong, over elaborate horn nocks may look pretty to some but they are a Victorian affectation and add nothing to the bow.
Having said that, I do put 'em on some longbows, but I try to keep 'em minimalist.
Have a look at my bowyers diary as I've just posted a a bit with some horn nock making detail and pics.
(Just google bowyers diary to find it)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:46:02 pm »
Horn tips are a pain in the backside to make. Simple overlays are just as effective, but if you want a more 'traditional' look for a longbow then do the horn nock thing.
My personal opinion is that overlong, over elaborate horn nocks may look pretty to some but they are a Victorian affectation and add nothing to the bow.
Having said that, I do put 'em on some longbows, but I try to keep 'em minimalist.
Have a look at my bowyers diary as I've just posted a a bit with some horn nock making detail and pics.
(Just google bowyers diary to find it)
Del
ok, the problem i am having is if i don't use just an overlay, the tips on the bow im planning are HUGE do i think what im going to do is use some like these and maybe cut them down to their wides point, which i'm guessing in the base and drill out a 1inch circular hole through center and fit it to the tip, the bows tips will be a little over 1x1 and made of maple and ipe
thanks
noel

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 01:57:23 pm »
You really shouldn't need more that 1/2"x1/2" tips for a war bow.  Bigger tips will only rob your bow of performance and add lots of hand shock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 02:07:52 pm »
You really shouldn't need more that 1/2"x1/2" tips for a war bow.  Bigger tips will only rob your bow of performance and add lots of hand shock.
im not exactly sure of the size, but i would like to plan big, and have room to work with rather than wasting material, and i want to have the take as little off the tips to fit on the antler, i also like to be excessive, but within some reason, so i will see once i start it ;D

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 02:27:14 pm »
Wow, I see some nice knife handles "hiding" in those antler burrs...

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline DEllis

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 04:03:12 pm »
I'd listen to what Pat is saying. Tips that big will just about rip your arm out of the socket with hand shock..........but I guess that would qualify as "excessive" :o ;D
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 04:17:36 pm »
I'd listen to what Pat is saying. Tips that big will just about rip your arm out of the socket with hand shock..........but I guess that would qualify as "excessive" :o ;D
Darcy
ya, im planning on cutting to like 2in long, i only really wan that size for the width, and if i don't cut them back, ill live up to my reputation or being overly exesive, you should see the plans for what i hope will be my future yacht ;D