Author Topic: world record attempt  (Read 13947 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
world record attempt
« on: February 24, 2011, 04:09:05 am »
i was wondering, without using 1 single piece of wood, what would be a good combination to make VERY heavy bows, im at 140 now and my goal is to be able to do 200+ by next year, and try to break the record for the heaviest bow pulled, or at least set the record for minors.
any input on designs is appreciated, the one im planing now is going to be 80 long hopefully 150-160 and made of ipe maple backed ipe, as those seem the best that i can get for it in my area for a reasonable price
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Ian.

Re: world record attempt
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:41:09 pm »
You may get some criticism for trying but go for it, I don't think an Ipe back will take that much, if you are set on making the bow yourself try bamboo or hickory backed Ipe, you may want to contact fairbow as they have made a 180lb bow from that combination, and you say record for minors how old are you.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 03:19:16 pm »
You may get some criticism for trying but go for it, I don't think an Ipe back will take that much, if you are set on making the bow yourself try bamboo or hickory backed Ipe, you may want to contact fairbow as they have made a 180lb bow from that combination, and you say record for minors how old are you.
the ipe wouldn't be the backing, the maple would, and thats only because it is readily available,  otherwise i would go for hickory . i am 16 now, and if i reach my goal i will be 17 then ;D, and im curious why i would get criticism ???

Offline Ian.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 04:24:35 pm »
Maple wont stand up to that weight either, unless you can get it to a single growth ring but you'll still struggle, what weight can you pull at the minute
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 04:28:45 pm »
Maple wont stand up to that weight either, unless you can get it to a single growth ring but you'll still struggle, what weight can you pull at the minute
at the moment around 140-150, what will work as a backing, im new to backing bows

Offline Ian.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 04:31:51 pm »
Hickory or bamboo I think are the only ones that will take that weight

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 04:32:53 pm »
Hickory or bamboo I think are the only ones that will take that weight
ok good to know, i would rather find out via the internet, instead of a piece of maple in my arm ;D
thanks
noel

Offline Ian.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 05:08:39 pm »
Its not nice ive completely shattered a maple backed ipe bow they really go with a bang,

Good Luck and let us know how it goes

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 05:28:22 pm »
Its not nice ive completely shattered a maple backed ipe bow they really go with a bang,

Good Luck and let us know how it goes
thanks for the help and ill be sure to show my progress till that point  ;D
by the way do you think its possible to build up to that point from where i am now, i'm only aiming for 205 or 210 although if i can do better i will try ;D
thanks
noel

Offline Ian.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 05:42:08 pm »
If I was you i would shoot 140 for the rest of the year still the heaviest bow out of anyone for your age, then when you shoot that bow all day go to 150 then every year go up 10lb then in 5 years you'll have 190 not only that you will be a great archer, ive seen loads of people who shoot heavy weights and it is silly when they squeeze the life of of a 140+ bow just to get 220 yards with it, 10 years ago pulling that weight would have been impressive but nowadays every man and his dog can pull a heavy bow controlling it and launching military arrows a long way is far more impressive.

Ive no double if you are able to make the bows that one day you will pull 210 what condition your body will be in is another story.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 06:27:36 pm »
i know what you mean, something tells me alot of people just get the heaviest bow they can, yank it back and see where it goes, thats why i am going to try to make sure i can aim it very well, and even when i hit my goal weight i will continue to practice and get more experienced with heavy bows, becasue in my opinion just pulling the bow is only half the battle, the other is being able to be comfortable and aim it well, thats what using a bow entails in my opinion ;D. in all reality i may not hit my goal weight for next year but i know i will probably be able to get the record for a minor and if i can do that ill be happy.
thanks
noel
PS: if it seems like my ego starts to get to big as i get close to my goal, let me know, then pop  my overinflated ego with an arrow  ;D

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:27:07 pm »
Heaviest bow pulled from someone under 18 I know, is Joseph Gibbs when he was that age. Don't remember exactly, but I think he said he pulled 170# at the age of 17. Eirik Diserud pulled a 143#@32" yew just before he turned 18. Also there were this Duch boy at 15 pulling 130#@32" with ease last year at Batsford.
-You are in a fine league, there's not many people your age pulling theese bows :)

As for your lamination project I think I would have tried bamboo for the back. Perfect hickory or ash (at least northern European ash) would also work, but boo would have been the best.

I don't know what you have as local wood, but there are more woods than yew that makes heavy warbows. If you have access to wytch elm, laburnum, osage, BL or good ash, they all make good warbows.

For laminating, try to use something a little less compression strong than ipe, and you will not overpower the backing wood so much. Ash, hickory, birch, hazel etc. backing plus several types of oak as a belly is a good combination, and often easy accessable.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 10:23:05 pm »
Heaviest bow pulled from someone under 18 I know, is Joseph Gibbs when he was that age. Don't remember exactly, but I think he said he pulled 170# at the age of 17. Eirik Diserud pulled a 143#@32" yew just before he turned 18. Also there were this Duch boy at 15 pulling 130#@32" with ease last year at Batsford.
-You are in a fine league, there's not many people your age pulling theese bows :)

As for your lamination project I think I would have tried bamboo for the back. Perfect hickory or ash (at least northern European ash) would also work, but boo would have been the best.

I don't know what you have as local wood, but there are more woods than yew that makes heavy warbows. If you have access to wytch elm, laburnum, osage, BL or good ash, they all make good warbows.

For laminating, try to use something a little less compression strong than ipe, and you will not overpower the backing wood so much. Ash, hickory, birch, hazel etc. backing plus several types of oak as a belly is a good combination, and often easy accessable.
where could i get a 80+ inch bamboo backing strip that is over 1 inch wide?
and thanks for the compliment, do you know if anyone has actually had the weight certifies for under 18, if not, ill think ill set the bar at hopefully 200, but realistically i'm hoping 170-180, then when older going for 210, i am now thinking that i will use a bamboo backed ipe bow 84 long including tips, what if i had a maple core bamboo back and ipe belly, that might take some strees off of the backing
PS" if you know anyone who wants to attempt to build a very heavy bow and have someone try it out, il volunteer ;D
thanks
noel

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 05:45:29 am »
..I have a 220#'er wytch elm, but it's allready sold/traded.. I have plans to make more bows this heavy, but I have 4 kids so I'm not working as fast as I want to :)

-I have a 150# osage soon ready for Eirik D, and I'm working on a 190#'er wytch elm for Gibbs. I also have some bows ranging from 120 to 170# that I will finish during spring. Hopefully I'll have time to make myself a bow soon too :)

Anyways, a maple core might be a good idea. They use maple as a core in hornbows between the horn and the sinew, so it should do god as a core in trilams. I wouldn't know where your closest boo supplier is, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

What wood do you have access too? There must be some native wood you can use for warbows..?

Offline Ian.

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 10:13:00 am »
I am looking forward to seeing more the of the wytch elm, when that 190 is done I would love to see pictures.   ;D