Author Topic: Another J. D. Duff Yew War Bow (Finally)  (Read 38116 times)

duffontap

Re: Another J. D. Duff Yew War Bow (Finally)
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 04:18:29 pm »
Here's a video so you can make fun of my beginner form. ;D  Constructive criticism welcome. 

J. D. Duff

Offline outcaste

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 04:26:54 pm »
Nice little 'jig' after the loose ;D

Outcaste

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 05:11:52 pm »
Hell of a bow JD, That sure is a nice looking piece of Yew.

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 05:39:24 pm »
Wow, I hope to make a war-bow that comes out half that nice someday.
Gordon

SimonUK

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 05:57:00 pm »
Speaking as a newbie, I can't see anything to criticise there. Your technique has to be good if you can draw a heavy bow like that three times in quick succession.

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 06:21:18 pm »
AWESOME Josh!!!...  :o...  :)...
You are doing as a PROFESSIONAL LONGBOW MAN in your video!!... Cool...nothing to see witha newbie...  ;)...
Well done mate!!...
Cheers...
Asier.
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 06:50:13 pm »
Josh, take a look at what I have drawn into the picture. You can level your bowarm more in alignment with your shoulders.

Jaro

jb.68

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 10:45:11 pm »
Looking good JD. Have you ever seen Simon Stanley shoot? He has an active release which is what yours looks similar to but he acheives his by keeping his bow arm bent and almost throwing the arrow from the bow on release. I'm told that this gives him an extra 10-15 yards which is deffinately worth trying to acheive.
I'm not sure that this is actually what you are doing but the fact that you have that action goin on means you are half way there. If you can try and keep that bow arm bent untill release then you are there. It's difficult tho espesially at the heavier weights, I know coz I've been tryin' Keep it up mate.  ;)

All the best

jb

marvin

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 11:42:24 pm »
Very impressive. The tiller is beautiful. How much set has the bow taken?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007, 11:53:16 pm »
Cool video Josh. You didn't shoot Proposal Rock did you? Looks like you were shooting that direction.
  You are getting 200+ yards with a 1100 grain arrow.  Now, That's artillery. ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline heavybow

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007, 01:05:23 am »
 Josh great shooting, very nice warbow,keep up the good work. marlon ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 03:22:02 am »
Great looking bow, 215 yards with a thousand grain arrow is very good! certainly speaks well for the bow you built and your release could not have been too bad. Steve

Offline jpitts

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2007, 07:12:42 am »
I am absolutely in awe of your skills. I hope to one day follow along. Thought I'd work in elm and mulberry first...don't want to ruin any yew....too precious....I love the nocks I wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for the pics and the video.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Badger

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2007, 01:05:51 pm »
Justin, I just watched your video, You have had a huge improvement in your form. We had some discussion about how a man could shoot in comparison to a shooting maching with a supposed perfect release, using an active release I can shoot about 8 fps faster than the bow will come out of the machine at the same draw length. So that movement you are doing does help distance. Kind of the same effect you would get if shooting a bow from a moving car but not as exagerated. Steve

duffontap

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2007, 05:47:30 pm »
Outcaste,
I learned that one 'dancing with the stars.' ::)

DanaM,
Thanks a lot.  This stave was a lucky find.  Golden shafts of light were shining down on this tree when I found it.  The luck ended there though.  While I cut the tree my truck was stollen and destroyed for fun.  They never caught them.

Gordon,
I somehow doubt you could do much worse.  These bows have been a real tillering challenge for me.  Much harder for me than an eliptical tiller.  I'm not sure why.  Thanks for the compliments. 

Asiertxu,
Thanks a lot.  I expected much more criticism.

Jaro,
I was going to ask you what those lines meant.  Is that just a stronger arm postion or does it maximise draw length, other?  Thanks for the help.  You were the first person to tell me my elbow position was wrong when I started.  Your video really helped.

jb.68,
I have seen him shoot.  I wish someone would put up another copy of that video on Youtube.  I used to watch that all the time.  My pushing arm needs to be a little stronger but I will try that.  You are right in that he bends his bow arm and pushes with the shot.  Thanks for the advice.

Marvin,
The bow was made from what I suppose to be a bit of a compression stave.  It had a very small amount of deflex to begin with.  I ended up with about 1 1/2" of set which was a little more than I had hoped for.  2" isn't uncommon though from what I've heard. 

Pat B,
Where's Proposal Rock?  A couple people have watched me shoot at the beach and they are amazed when those big arrows go out of sight.  It's pretty fun to watch them go.

Marlon,
Thanks Marlon.  I feel like I owe you one.   :P

Steve,
Thanks a lot.  You can't help but 'push-pull' these big bows.  The push and hop are quite natural.  I'm feeling much better about the distances I'm getting too.  I do need to make up some better arrows and see what I can manage.

Jpitts,
Elm and mulberry are a great place to start.  When you go with Yew, save up and spring for a really nice stave.  That is, if you'll be building a heavy bow. 

Thanks for the very kind words everyone.  I appreciate it a lot. 

J. D. Duff