Author Topic: Drop Point Hunter Buildalong - Finished Pics!  (Read 3318 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

Drop Point Hunter Buildalong - Finished Pics!
« on: February 25, 2011, 02:09:29 am »
Here's  a little buildalong for a 8" oal drop point hunter made from 1080 steel (stock removal).  I started with a wooden mock-up to get a feel/look for the blade.  The pictures are self explanatory, I believe.  The whitetail antler is from a nice 12 point buck harvested in Southwest Iowa (my homeland!) in 1998.  The last couple of pictures shows the blade after it has been sanded to 600 grit and then etched several times in a vinegar/lemon juice mixture.  I tried eliminating the plunge line by sanding it into a gentle contour, but for no other reason than to try it.  I settled on more of an appleseed grind for the blade with a flat grind for the cutting edge.  Thanks for looking.   

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 12:37:59 am by 4est Trekker »
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Drop Point Hunter Buildalong
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 02:17:13 am »
Interesting.   8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:53:03 am »
I love your work 4est.  Very artistic.  I don't know much about knife making, but want to get into it a bit more as soon as some other projects get cleared up.

Would you mind explaining a couple things to a greenhorn like me?  First off, how do you temper the blade? I'm assuming the mud has something to do with that? Secondly, how do you etch your logo onto the blade? And lastly, how do you make your mosaic inlay?

Thanks for posting this!

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:41:04 am »
Hope this helps, Cameroo:

"How do you temper the blade?"

There are so many variables involved in this process, most of which I'm not qualified to speak on.  Assuming you've got a known steel and you're certain you've reached full hardness at quench (a whole other can of worms!), you can search the Internet for that particular steel's temper cycle.  Assuming an unknown steel, or perhaps the possibility that you haven't quite reached full hardness, you can cycle up your tempering sessions as follows (which is what I do): 

Bring your kitchen oven to 375 degrees F (really pretty cold for tempering, but at this point you don't want to overheat the steel just in case all didn't go quite right or you're unsure of the steel).  Double check it with a second thermometer inside the oven, as most oven's thermostats aren't accurate enough.  Mine is 25 degrees hot.  Let the oven preheat for 20 minutes to achieve a nice consistent, even heat, then place your blade inside.  You should do this immediately after you've quenched it and allowed it to cool (say 10 minutes or so).  Otherwise, the internal stresses in the steel caused by the quench can cause it to crack.  I like to temper for 1.5 hours, then shut the oven off and let it cool.  Then I put a quick working edge on the knife and chop through a 2x4.  If the blade still slices through a piece of paper afterward and the edge shows no signs of chipping, I stop and finish the blade out. A lot of folks recommend at least two tempering cycles, and I do think there is some benefit to it.  You can research that point and make your own decision.

However, if the blade chips after the cutting test, it's still too hard for a serviceable cutting tool and I tempering it again, this time raising the temp in the oven 25 degrees.  (Repeat 1.5-2 hours, shut the oven off, let it cool, chop test.)  If it's still too hard, repeat the process again, raising the temp another 25 degrees. 

If you haven't differentially heat treated your blade (i.e. you simply heated the entire blade and full-quenched it), then you should draw back the spine and tang a bit so that those parts are softer, and thus tougher, than the cutting edge.  You can do this with a small torch, but there are some tricks to it (i.e. surface preparation, keeping the cutting edge submerged in water, gauging the temp reached via color, etc.).  Do an internet search and you'll find some pros on that subject.

You referenced "the mud" having something to do with tempering.  Well, you're 1/2 right :) .  The mud is actually furnace cement.  You apply it to the blade in such a way that you insulate the back/spine of the blade while leaving the cutting edge (which is still at this point the thickness of a dime so that you don't damage the steel in the area).  After thermal cycling (again, another ball of wax :) ) and bring to the proper heat for quench, you simply quench the entire blade.  However, only the exposed cutting edge will cool fast enough to fully harden.  The insulated back/spine will not, thus leaving it softer and tougher.  The result, after proper temper, sanding/polishing, and etching, is the visible line call a "hamon." 

"How do you etch your logo onto the blade?"

I'll post a new thread on that momentarily.

"How do you make your mosaic inlay?"

I buy little hobby pieces of brass and copper tubing (round, square, solid, etc.) at Ace Hardware and piece them together until they nest snugly.  I then mix and color some simple epoxy with black acrylic paint and put it in a film container.  I nest all the tubing, stick in into the epoxy, and then suck it up through the tubing using a syringe with a piece of rubber tubing attached.  This goes over the end of the tubing and provides and airtight seal.  I only do about 2" of tubing at a time to avoid getting air bubbles. 

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Curt

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 01:01:00 pm »
That helps a lot.  Obviously I have a lot to learn yet (thermal cycling, differential heat treatment, correct temps for annealing, etc)  but you've given me lots to go on.

I'm a "details" kind of guy, which is probably why your work stands out to me so much to me.  It's obvious that you too, take pride in adding the extra details that take your projects beyond being just functional, to being eye candy as well :)

Thanks for sharing your techniques!  I probably have another 50 questions for you, but I'll give you a break :)

HatchA

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 08:07:34 pm »
Hi 4est.

Any reason you left the clay off the edge area?  Does it not give too much contrast between the coated/uncoated steel at point of quenching?  Have you ever done ashi on a blade? 

Looking forward to the rest of this build along!

Steve.

Offline 4est Trekker

Re: Drop Point Hunter Buildalong - Finished Pics!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 12:51:58 am »
Here's some pictures of the finished knife and sheath.  The gentleman wanted an arrow incorporated into the package, so I made an arrowhead medallion out of the left over piece of antler and used it to inscribe his name on one side and mine on the other.  Also, it turned out that I didn't have quite enough antler to keep the natural finish on the scales.  As such, I soaked the scales in Minwax Wood Hardener overnight then completely saturated them with several coats of CA glue to ensure all open pores were completely filled.  Then I buffed the dickens out of the whole shootin' match with steel wool.  Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:38:27 am by 4est Trekker »

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 01:01:53 am »
Sweet looking blade. Very nice.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

HatchA

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 03:03:20 am »
Beautiful work!!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 03:16:10 pm »
4est, I've always admired your work and this piece is no different...very well done and thanks for sharing.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 06:00:19 pm »
Once again... incredible work!

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 06:42:04 pm »
That is one nice knife,good job.