Author Topic: Anybody have any stubby billets? Or nice Osage?  (Read 3305 times)

Offline DEllis

Anybody have any stubby billets? Or nice Osage?
« on: February 25, 2011, 04:38:27 pm »
I was going to make a three peice takedown and have the riser half finished then decided the hickory I had planned for it is too narrow. Anyone have a set of billets that are too short for splicing they might part with? I only need 28" long or so.........osage, hickory, locust ......any decent bow wood is fine. I have a copy of Jim Hamms "Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans" A short yew flat bow that is almost finished but needs to live in a moister climate than here. 57 inch and pulls 60# at 26 inches with a bit of character and nice lines. Could be finished out to lower draw weight for a nice short turkey/tree stand bow. Also I am looking for nice staves of osage to trade for a knife.......I build a few for fun now and then. PM me for details or pics of the yew bow or samples of my knives.
Thanks,
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Anybody have any stubby billets? Or nice Osage?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:27:24 pm »
I do. What do you have for trade?
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline DEllis

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:40:31 pm »
Like I stated in the above post. I have a book(see above), a tillered but unfinished yew bow, and I make knives........I only have one that I could trade finished(9inch, engraved bowie) but would consider building a different one for trade purposes(would take a week or two).
What do you have specifically? Stubby billets or nice osage staves? I suppose you could have collected a bunch of wood in your lifetime though(110 years old :o) ;D........I'd think you'd be retired by now though ;)
Darcy
PS I assume you are not actually 110........if you are.......thumbs up, you've had a good long run. :)
Darcy Ellis

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:26:28 pm »
Are you in Texas crivera?

I split a 2yr old osage log this morning, but it has been laying on the ground for the last 3 weeks so it picked up some moisture.  Anyway, I split a piece off with a huge branch in the center, which then split again making 2 pair of sister billets.  If he doesn't have what you need I probably do.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:30:09 pm »
Darcy,

Thank you for the reply! I'm sorry.. That's just another example of the wonderful usefullness of my English degree. I will take pics of what I have and email to you. I have pecan, mulberry, Osage, black locust and hackberry. I would love the Yew bow. None down in my neck of the woods. Sorry. I'm not 100+ yrs. I teach 1st grade and I have a 1st grader sense of humor..
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:38:50 pm »
Yes George. By Glen Rose..

Offline criveraville

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 12:58:51 am »
Here are pics of two mulberry that have seasoned for several years.. 5-6

Offline criveraville

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 01:00:57 am »
pic 1

Offline criveraville

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 01:03:22 am »
ok.. I can not seem to get pics up on here.. will try monday

Offline DEllis

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 03:38:29 am »
Thanks guys.......pm's sent.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis