Author Topic: Carpinus betulus  (Read 8777 times)

bubbabadboyno1

Carpinus betulus
« on: May 22, 2007, 06:17:04 pm »
I have  decided to take up my bowbuilding again and want to know if there  is any pictures in this forum of bows made from Carpinus betulus we call it Avonbok her in Sweden. I would  like to buy a rattlesnake or two  skin if it is possible too. Greeting from charlie.
my em is carl-eric.landell@rorvik.savsjo.se

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Carpinus betulus
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 06:26:27 pm »
Welcome to the site.  I'm sorry I cant help you with the wood.  For buying rattlesnakes, your best bet is to buy them from Pine Hollow. Occasionally someone has some to trade, but the shipping on a trade from Sweden would probably make that impractical.  Here is the link. http://www.pinehollowlongbows.com/    Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 07:19:39 pm »
Is this it?
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/Plants/c/carbet/carbet1.html

I don't know how similar it is to the hornbeams here in the U.S.A. but our hornbeams are great bow wood.

Ralph

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 10:19:59 pm »
It is the European equivalent of Blue Beech or American Hornbeam. The pictures posted by Bert several years ago were identical in type to the American wood but seemed much larger than what we get here typically.
 It will make a good bow but putting snakeskin on will be a chore unless you decrown the wood. It's too uneven.
   Pat

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 08:09:26 pm »
You don,t have to de crown the back if you sinew back it . Fill in the low spots on the back with sinew first. Then sinew over with 1 more layer of sinew.let it dry . Sand smooth ,and add your snake skin.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 12:43:17 am »
It is a good bow wood. I would cover it with a backing from rawhide or better sinew. That depends to the design and the natural surface of wood.

Offline Coonst

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 03:17:36 am »
I don't know if there are any european hornbeam bows with pictures in this forum... but I know of this bow shown in a German forum:  https://fletchers-corner.de/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20055#p346745

Online GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 04:08:27 am »
You also better check if it is legal to buy/sell snakeskins in your country and probably they have to be provided with certificates of origin

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 06:51:54 am »
OP is probably long gone from the scene  Bassman  Lazarused the thread because he has a  trolling mission to dispute  as many of my posts as he can.   Going back 12 years shows some dedication.

Offline Coonst

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 07:18:30 am »
Oh dear, thank you for the heads up. I hope someone enjoyed the hornbeambow anyway.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 07:23:04 am »
OP is probably long gone from the scene  Bassman  Lazarused the thread because he has a  trolling mission to dispute  as many of my posts as he can.   Going back 12 years shows some dedication.

I'm not sure he is trying to dispute just you Pat as he's responded to a few old post and some you weren't involved in. 
But I'm confused as to why these old threads are being responded to... ???

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 07:45:12 am »
Yeah, other  stuff that catches his eye while searching. ;)

Offline bassman

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 09:11:19 am »
Pat M, I have only been on this site for two months.I can tell you haven,t worked with American Hornbeam much or you would know  de-crowning is counter productive for that wood .Far as being a troller you have argued ,and tried to under mind myself ,and many others on these sites, so I would say you get the crown for being the best at it.Other guys know it also . I,m just telling you straight to your face.You give it out the way you do , you better be able to take it. Just gave you a good dose of your own medicine, and that,s the truth.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 09:49:17 am »
You may note that you are responding initially to my post.   So actually you are the one "under minding".

On the  TB handle thread   I gave tips on how to do it right and you "under minded"  that with your ghetto fix suggestion.   I stood by doing it correctly since most folks want to improve their work rather than  resorting to duct tape.

I guess if you want to drag down the quality of work then mission accomplished.

Oh, and decrowning AHB is fine if you're used to using sinew in less of a landfill manner.

It's nice of you to admit you're just doing this to cause trouble,   but 12 years?   Keep it current,  man.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:05:56 am by PatM »

Offline bassman

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 11:33:45 am »
I don,t want to cause trouble on this thread. Many more important things to do, but that,s been your remarks ,ghetto fix ,making slug bows  , garbage canning bows if they wont shoot 175 fps., and it just goes on on with you.Calling Damon Howatt bows Monstrosities, because YOU made it personal with Larry Hatfield.YOU WERE TROLLING LONG BEFORE I EVER GOT ON THESE SITES . Sorry to all you other guys on Primitive that are reading this thread. Your all good guys. One bad apple in every bunch I guess.Pat M or OCR what ever you call yourself you are a real piece of work that seems to know it all no matter who you talk to on here. If my work is ghetto then you should show me all of world class records you have broken with those so called Eastern bows you build.Badger has them, and you question him also.Take some lessons from him or Mark St  Louis ,and they will show you how to make world class bows.Over and out.