Author Topic: Carpinus betulus  (Read 8413 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Carpinus betulus
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 11:40:48 am »

LOL.  You don't want to cause trouble.  You sure about that?

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 12:03:03 pm »
across your differences is "Hainbuche" a good bowwood, especially  if you use it with a backing.
In Germany it often grow to 20 - 30m in height and up to more than 20 inches in diameter.
Similiar to Caprinus betulus is "Hopfenbuche" (Ostrya carpinifolia). The wood is very hard and dense.
In former times the wood is used for tool handles, drum sticks or to build wooden wheels...

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 05:34:58 am »
across your differences is "Hainbuche" a good bowwood, especially  if you use it with a backing.
In Germany it often grow to 20 - 30m in height and up to more than 20 inches in diameter.
Similiar to Caprinus betulus is "Hopfenbuche" (Ostrya carpinifolia). The wood is very hard and dense.
In former times the wood is used for tool handles, drum sticks or to build wooden wheels...

Here is one Simon made.   For whatever reason I have never seen of heard of anyone making a bow from European HHB.  It is never mentioned (you are the first).  I sometimes wonder how aware people over there are of its existence.  I've heard quite a few people from overseas say they wish they had access to wood like Hickory and HHB.  Well....
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,63922.0.html

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 06:44:32 am »
simon build fine bows with good wood :OK

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 08:21:22 am »
I think the reason not many europeans build HHB bows is that it is almost impossible to find straightish pieces with not to many side branches. At least I have been looking for the last three years and did not find one I could cut.

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 08:33:44 am »
That's interesting.  Usually there's a bit more similarity to woods with a counterpart on either side.   Your Hornbeam is certainly a much larger tree than ours so it seems unusual for your HHB to be more branched and presumably scrubbier.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 09:57:45 am »
"Hainbuche" often grows as a hedge. In former times there was often a hegde to protect the streets (Wehrhecke, Landwehr). The hedge was 10 - 20 yards wide (up to over 100yards wide) and complete grow close with blackthorn, hornbeam and other brushwood. The plants are so close, that a cavalaryman (horseman) don't can pass.

But there are also "Hainbuchen" in the forest. They grow like you see on the pic
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:54:54 pm by AndrewS »