Author Topic: Scottsbluff  (Read 3417 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Scottsbluff
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:19:58 pm »
Well, I'm back in the hill country west of Austin. No work on Sunday's and the weather could not have been more beautiful! Sunny and around 82* :). I cruised over to one of my flint spots to pick up a few rocks - which I did. Had scotty's on the brain all day after looking at some artifacts online last night so I made one. Was going to do more but the rocks kept calling and I went splunkin instead ;D. Found an interesting specimen in the creek. It's the perfect example of how this stuff forms around here that I can actually haul home. Thought ya'll might be interested in seeing that. Here we go......
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

Re: Scottsbluff
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:21:38 pm »
Mas ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:28:25 pm »
Amazing. Wish I lived closer to some of that. Bout ready to sling all my rhyolite in the river.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline cowboy

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:48:21 pm »
Easy now TJ :). A box of this could be had for a box of that rhyolite if your interested? Hmm, I love a good challenge ;).

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 12:22:55 am »
That is eye candy....great point.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 10:31:37 am »
getting right back in the saddle paul.  ;D

is that limestone or quartz that that small piece is stuck in?
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:53:38 am »
Sweet! those Scotties are one of my favorite types.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 12:26:48 pm »
Thanks guys. That is limestone Jamie. I heard or read somewhere that limestone "makes" flint. Well, I don't know about all that but do know that flint forms inside of the limestone around here then erodes out over the eons. I went on a cave tour not far from here and took my own flashlight. While the other tourist's were checking out the cool looking formations I was checking out all the flint :). Amazing how much was in there! Tabs, lenses, veins - everywhere! Sheesh.....

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 01:29:28 pm »
yes sir it does form flint from what ive heard (or visa versa.). funny thing is here in ct we have an area with limestone cliffs. not a spot of it has flint though. i actually like the inner cortex on some of the georgetown for knapping.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 07:42:57 pm »
That's an awesome and very authentic looking point!  Looks like you pulled it out of the creek along with that rock!

I always seem to break those big blades and end with bird points...  funny how that happends.  ::)

I have a stash of rock that looks just like that stuff.  I love it!  My pieces are all on the smaller side, though.  Nice haul!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 08:45:39 pm »
You are a rockhound Cowboy :D That point is fantastic and agree with Patrick about finding it with the rock. Very cool!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 09:57:21 pm »
Very nice work Paul!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 10:33:45 pm »
I plan on making some points outa those spalls and the outer parts are all splotchy looking, cool looking. I think my dad made sure I was a rockhound growing up, he was always into minerals and rocks :).
  You still alive Shannon?  ;D..

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 10:41:16 pm »
Nice rock !  Beautiful point ! !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 10:14:45 pm »
I like that,nice flake patter too. ;D