Author Topic: Snake Skinning day  (Read 38757 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Snake Skinning day
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:20:23 pm »
a few of the ones I had in the freezer.  Will have some up for grabs on trading post as soon as they are ready
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline NTD

Re: Snake Skinning day
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 01:31:52 pm »
I see some ball pythons and boas in there 8)
Nate Danforth

Offline criveraville

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 02:02:47 pm »
That s right NTN.. Those are rather difficult to skin. Two rattlers, lots of bull, two rat snakes, two water snakes and 1 I don't have a clue about...
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 02:06:49 pm »
that's a bunch of snakes! Last time I cleaned out the freezer I tacked up seven hides..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 02:13:03 pm »
Yea Cowboy. Most are road kill.  Here in Texas as you know, right before or right after a good rain, the roads are littered with those long pretty bull snakes.  I think I have about 30 more to skin. Will have to wait till Saturday.  What's the best way to flesh a snake skin?

criveraville

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 02:16:28 pm »
No fleshing needed. Well I don't know about them boa's and python's but the regualar snakes around here I just split em down the belly, peel the hide off and tack it to a board flesh side out for about a day and voila!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 02:21:36 pm »
^^^ I do it the same way and have never had a problem with them. They will keep forever dried out that way too as long as you keep the mice off em.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 02:28:16 pm »
If you skin the boas and pythons correctly you won't have to flesh them.  The bigger ones can be tough, just make sure you get behind that membrane and you'll be fine.  Once the boas get over 7ft it will take some yanking though.  Once I get about foot started I will step on the carcass with one foot and pull.  Make sure you pull close to the carcass though, even though they are thick skins if your hands get too far from the carcass you can tear the hide.  Also be careful around the cloaca (turd cutter) it can take a little bit of work there if you want to get the tail in one piece.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:37:24 pm by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline criveraville

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 03:03:24 pm »
Thanks folks...  Ok... Yea, I skinned two of the big ones yesterday. Two more today... I think they will look great on some bows

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 05:50:53 pm »
When I clean out my freezer, all I find is some old chicken nuggets :( 

Those will make some cool bows.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline criveraville

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 06:54:29 pm »
that's funny Ossage.. Trust me.. My wife doesnt like my habbits of picking up road kill much...

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 03:53:39 pm »
Mine picks em up for me and when she has a day off drives around with me at night on the backroads looking for them ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 04:14:37 pm »
Good woman their Nate, you should keep her. ;D

I've always tacked the skins flesh side up and salted them.  Once dry any flesh comes off real easy.  Then I rehydrate them to wash the salt off and get them ready for a bow.  Is the salt an issue (since it isn't mentioned by folks)?  I gave the pastors of the church some venison the other day and included in one of their packages a bull snake that had been in the freezer for a couple years.  Funny, he never said anything about it... ???  I have my own refrigerator in the shop and try to keep snakes in that freezer.  Seems to help in the marital harmony department.  The only time my wife ever got real mad was when I put a container of maggots in the refrigerator to keep in between ice fishing trips.  Seems like I got the spare fridge right about then now that I think about it. ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 10:53:47 pm »
Nature that's cool... I agree with George!!! My wife dislikes all the "Grizzly Man" stuff I do.. She's calm about it, but when we were first married it was like watching an episode of, "I love Lucy." except it wasn't Ricky yelling and the yelling wasn't Espanol.. Nope. It was very proper English..

Thanks for the info George.. The big snakes didn't skin out as easily. Well a couple of summers back on my way to summer school I spied a nice "fresh" kill bull snake.. I triple wraped it in Wmart bags and totally forgot about it until one day horrible screams flooded down the halls.. The school secretary was cleaning the freezer, ripped the bags open and out fell Mr. Frozen snakey.. She was not happy. I have my own small freezer... Funny about the pastor George...  :D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 12:39:32 am »

Criveraville;

You can pose them you know, makes for a better reaction....... >:D >:D ;D ::)

Wayne