Author Topic: Just have to tease you a Little  (Read 5607 times)

HatchA

Re: Just have to tease you a Little
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 09:04:40 am »
That's not teasing...  it's torturing!!!  :)

Nice haul Dean!  Some snakey bits too, by the looks of it?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 09:20:51 am »
Nice bunch of Osage,lots of bows in that pile. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 03:28:52 pm »
Dean, that pile looks like absolutly no fun.  Who wants STRAIGHT staves. ::)  I don't see any knots,  pins, twist...nothin,  just a bunch of firewood. I'll do you a favor and get rid of for you so you can make room for better  wood. :D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:20:21 pm by Dvshunter »
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline DEllis

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »
Those are awesome! Nice rings in that piece!
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 03:57:29 pm »
Man, I sure don't see osage that straight down here.  That is good stuff!  What looks straight to me normally isn't by the time it gets to that stage.  

I couldn't agree more about young men.  I had 2 over last night that helped me split osage.  A 16 year-old boy and an 8lb maul go together like bread and butter.  Add a 12 year old brother and they'll split all day.  You will lose some maul handles though.  Any bowyer that doesn't have a couple young men around to teach the bow building ropes to (and split wood with) is missing out on some serious good times.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 08:32:22 pm »
I really lucked out on this batch of Osage. Like I said they were avertised on my local paper for fence posts and I lucked out and bought them first. I ended up with thirty logs. That pile you see there is from 5 logs. Just put your name out in the community that you are looking for Osage and the guys selling it will find you. Dean

Offline 1776J

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 01:05:40 am »
Dean!!,...
you're the man! 

(slop, slop,.. drooling over the osage pile!)  :o

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 01:16:12 am »
My last haul was advertised on Craig's List as fence posts as well.  Nothing that nice though.  I lost the number though.  I'll keep watching for more.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 01:45:16 am »
Fence posts are more reasonably priced than bow staves!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 09:42:05 am »
Fence posts are more reasonably priced than bow staves!  ;D

They sure are.  This add just showed up on Craig's list here.  I'll be calling later today as Lavon is less than 10 miles from me:

Free firewood in Lavon. You cut, you haul. There are a lot of trees available.

Assorted trees on back of lot, easy to somewhat difficult to cut. Includes Bois D'arc, Elm, Ash and some unknown species. Most of these trees are medium to tall with a 4 to 6 inch diameter.

Ceder trees, 10 to 12 inch diameter trunks would make very good fense post. One is already on the ground.

Bois d'arc trees, burns very hot, better suited for woodburning stoves, or crafts, easy to difficult to cut.

Very large tree (30 inch diameter), unknown type, sits on a slope, very difficult, experienced team a must.

Finally, there is some wood already felled ready to cut and pick up. Mostly 3 to 6 inch diameter.

Call after 9:00 am

One of the big challenges is just knowing what people call osage.  I've seen it advertised osage, bodark, bois d arc, hedge, and who knows what else.  Most of the free wood is pretty crooked because people seem to innately know that straight trees carry some value.  I might cut up some of that cedar as well.  I'm hoping I have some of your good luck Dean.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 09:54:56 am »
Good deal George. Like I said everybody watch all your local papers the next month or 2. I have a little local paper that comes every week called the Penny Pincher. People put all kinds of stuff in there for sale. That is where I found my haul. Dean

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 10:18:33 am »
       SWEETTTTT  nice rings on that one tree.
   If you have worm problems save your self a lot of scrapeing. Spray them down with pestiside (lowes).
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING