Author Topic: Another "Tree ID"...stumbled on an odd one today.  (Read 8862 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Another "Tree ID"...stumbled on an odd one today.
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 11:20:09 am »
Hard to tell but it looks kinda like pignut hickory to me.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

JustinNC

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 11:33:58 am »
not maple....it's not got opposite venation

buds arent big enough for hickory

Twisted bark and elongated bud, similar to American beech (Fagus grandifolia), but not as long.

Amelanchia arborea it is...downy serviceberry, unless perhaps there are other similar species of Amelanchia in that area.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 12:25:45 pm »
I think it is a Striped Maple aka Moose Maple...

appears to be a soft and fairly useless species of maple

Thanks~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 01:10:58 pm »
Hey Lee,

That's definitely not maple for, as stated above, the leaves (and buds) are alternate on the twigs instead of opposite.
Don't know what it is though  ??? could still be good bow wood...

good luck
MAtt
Quebec, Canada

JustinNC

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 01:50:54 pm »
Just told yall what it was ;D....actually Steve did, but I gave the scientific jargin to back it up :P

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 03:04:28 pm »
The Western variety of serviseberry(aka saskatoon) makes pretty good bows from what I've seen. I don't know about the Eastern variety. I have a pole and a few short staves from local trees but haven't tried it yet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 04:02:16 pm »
Thanks Steve, Justin and all who helped out.  I concur that this is "Downy Serviceberry" so mystery solved. 

Pat, I am curious if this variety of Serviceberry would be a suitable bow wood too...may have to do some more research.

Thanks~
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

JustinNC

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 04:21:39 pm »
It wouldnt have jumped out at me with just the bark photo if Hillbilly hasnt mentioned it. We dont see many serviceberry down here, more in the mountains than here. I was thinking a hickory at first. When Steve mentioned service berry, the spiral pattern bark really jumped out, then the buds are a give away, nothing like a hickory. Twigs are slender, nothing like a hickory, and the venation is opposite.....not a maple.

The buds of a service berry are elongated and bark is twisted. Good little tips to keep in the dichotomis key in your head.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 06:10:30 pm »
Yeah, thanks for that Justin...this is an area I want to grow and improve on, I need to do a bunch more in depth reading/study to lay a good foundation in this area.  To be honest, I've never seen or noticed this tree or species anywhere I've been in the woods around here in MI so it was a real stumper for me.  this tree (and it's a good sized one) is on a back lot that my uncle owns, I may beg a pass for my chainsaw as I know he doesn't even walk that section of woods and likely wouldn't mind me taking it if I had a good use for it...we'll see.

Thanks again to you and all the others...this Forum kicks butt!  >:D

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Hojo

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 08:56:35 pm »
Serviceberry often grows like a barber's pole and can make a complete revolution--or even slightly more--within a 6' section.  The bark on your tree is showing the same spiraling growth pattern in a lot of places.  If you do get to cut it, do yourself a favor and spend some time trying to find a section where the bark is running straight. 

That is one mature serviceberry!  I've hunted in mid-Michigan for years and have not noticed very many that approach the size of your tree.  Best of luck to you on getting a bow out of it!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 09:48:10 pm »
Serviceberry often grows like a barber's pole and can make a complete revolution--or even slightly more--within a 6' section.  The bark on your tree is showing the same spiraling growth pattern in a lot of places.  If you do get to cut it, do yourself a favor and spend some time trying to find a section where the bark is running straight. 

That is one mature serviceberry!  I've hunted in mid-Michigan for years and have not noticed very many that approach the size of your tree.  Best of luck to you on getting a bow out of it!

Thanks Hojo...is there too much twist to justify cutting it down?
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Hojo

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 12:43:51 am »
Lee-
If you can find a bow-length section that appears to have grown straight, I say harvest it. 
Study the bark on your tree.  In the pic that shows your hand with the ring on your finger, the area just to the left of your hand looks like it has A LOT of twist.  However, further up that limb, after it turns abruptly upward, what is shown in the pic looks pretty good.  That is the section I'd study first.   

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 12:49:00 am »
Thanks Hojo...I think I'll take another hike with the tape measure in my pocket.  Now that I know it can make a decent bow I'll pay a bit more attention to the grain/twist details.  Many thanks~
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 02:35:46 am »
Lee, the Audubon Field Guide to Trees is a good carry with you ID book. It shows leaves, twigs and buds, flowers, fruit and bark and with good discriptive text. There are other more specific books but this book will get you well down the road.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

JustinNC

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2011, 09:58:31 am »
Textbook of dendrology is a good one.

I don't support anything audobon puts out. They're after your hunting and fishing rights, check out the issues at cape hatteras national seashore and who's behind it.

Nice guides, I will admit,and pocket sized for the field, but the
Textbook of Dendrology tells about the wood as well.

Heck I own one, but that was before I knew what kind of leftist sportsmans rights snatchers they are.