Author Topic: Holliday Wood  (Read 5365 times)

GraemeK

Holliday Wood
« on: May 24, 2007, 05:49:43 am »
Hi All ---
Been away for a few days. Told the wife that it was a Holiday --- was for me --- but apparently if there is no restraints or shopping involved then it has been misrepresented. I will have to remember that next time. Still it would seem that a Holiday does not exclude gathering wood so all is not lost.

I was temped to post some of these things in the mystry wood thread but I figured that might have been a bit unfair.

The Brigalow is "Acaia Harpophylla" -- The Red Ash is "Alphitonia Excelsa" -- The Yellow wood "Flindersia xanthoxyla" And of course the Osage, rare to us common to you.

Should keep me busy for a while once I get it all dried.

Graeme

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Holliday Wood
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 05:53:58 am »
Nice stash,you been busy,glad you are feeling better.That much wood would make anyone feel better. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

GraemeK

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 06:35:06 am »
Hi Pappy

Not sure you can have too much wood, but I know the more you have the better you feel.
And I have seen the piles of timber at your place so I know I have a long way to go.
Had to get help as some of those logs were heavy and I am not sure how much I can do safely. All the OZ timber is heavier than water - Brigalow is about 1.3 S.G so even the small logs weigh as much as a small person. Can be difficult to dry without splits but we will see how it goes.  Nice to get the Osage log as this will be the first staves I have had with good rings, It was the straightest log I have ever seen until I quartered it at which time it got unruly but I am not much worried now I know how easy it bends with heat.

Graeme

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 07:22:55 am »
That is a good looking log.Did you split it or saw it,looks sawed.Ya you better take it easy,I speak from experience.You will get over it but it dose take a while. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 07:48:52 am »
Good looking haul, that Oz wood looks good, looking forward to seeing some bows from it! Which one has the really nice dark heartwood? Osage is pretty rare for a lot of us who don't live in the central US, also-not much on the East Coast or out West.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

GraemeK

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 07:52:47 am »
Yes I sawed it into quarters -- Definitely not up to splitting logs.
I know splitting is probably a better idea in case the grain is not straight but I needed to break it down before it split as it had been cut a while. Also I have little experience with splitting logs as it does not work well for a lot of local timbers. The amount of cross linking in the grain together with the hardness often means that even if you kerf the log the split is so uneven that you can not even get a single stave out of a eight inch log.

Graeme

GraemeK

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 08:15:22 am »
Hi Hillbilly
The dark and light one is " Brigalow " which is an Acacia or what we call Wattle. It is very dense and works well with with a sap wood / heart wood combination but it is difficult to find a stave without a branch defect even though the tree may have a clear trunk and unfortunately you can not work around a knot as I see done in Osage and other things in the US as it always breaks. I think I may only be able to get 2 good staves out of the eight log quatrers -- will not know till it is dry and I can remove the bark but it is worth it as it makes a beautiful bow that looks a lot like Yew. Not a lot of bows made out of it as it is not very common and only grows in dry semi desert in central Queensland.

Graeme

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 02:43:21 pm »
Very nice lookin' wood you have there! Really glad you're getting along better...sorry you couldn't make it to the Classic, we would have liked to meet you in person. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 02:50:58 pm »
Graeme K----Nice load of wood. Every time I look at your shop I drool ! :o ;D. I hope you will be better and look foward to seein' some bows from wood as others have said.....................bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 03:13:47 pm »
Nice haul. That should keep you out of trouble for a while. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC