Author Topic: White wood Mary Rose Bows?  (Read 10647 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
White wood Mary Rose Bows?
« on: May 23, 2007, 10:11:53 pm »
Anyone know if there were Elm or Ash Warbows found on the Mary Rose? If so do you know their dimensions?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

sagitarius boemoru

Re: White wood Mary Rose Bows?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 06:34:24 am »
All MR bows are yew. Some people say there were some whitewood bows on MR but I reckon due to quality of the research that would be long known and published in scientifical journall for peer rewiev.

If you make whitewood bow to MR dimensions, couple of things happens.

a) Density of your wood is not very high. The bow will bend and be spongy, wont shoot well and eventually break
b) You have high density stave,that if made to MR dimensions (yew dimensions) it is completelly nonbendable.

We harvest "nuclear ash". It goes with SG 0.85 and higher.  To get reasonable weights (100-110#) you only need it 30-32 mm wide at girth and the taper is reasonably lankier with very narrow tips. 35 mm width gives you 140#.

Since I cannot accept tudor bowmakers as idiots and I assume they understood wood, I reckon that any original whitewood english bow will be recognised immediatelly by having different shape and taper than yew one. That same goes for laburnum bow. This is overlooked wood, but it gets listed by severall original sources as wood for courtly and flashy bow. I reckon that laburnum bow will have slightly different shape and taper and will be lankier than similar weight yew.

Jaro

Rod

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 07:16:29 am »
Ash and wych elm are both considered to be useable substitiute woods, but as Jaro says you cannot apply yew bow dimensions to other woods. Laburnum (but I think laburnum might need backing) and Rowan are also good substitutes, as is Eastern Red Cedar (which is a juniper), if you can find a clean straight piece of sufficient length.
Rod.

DBernier

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 07:43:28 am »
Rod, I have a Cedar about 15+ feet high and straight and about 7 inches in diameter. I have been undecided as to cutting it and have scores of them on my property. You think MR dimensions would work on this wood? Should I cut it now? I would like to try one in the 80# to 85# range, just for fun. I really like this wood.

Dick Bernier

Offline Loki

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 12:22:29 pm »
But wouldnt applying MR Dimensions to Cedar wood give you a lower weight weapon than one from Yew?
Please forgive my ignorance,i've never made a Bow in my life only arrows  ;D.
Durham,England