Author Topic: Sourwood Shoots  (Read 2679 times)

Offline ahawi stick

Sourwood Shoots
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:08:13 pm »
I have around 3doz. seasoned bark on not straightened shoots 3/8 to 1/2 in. on large end 3/8 to 1/4 in. small end. I have around 3  doz. of the same size that are seasoned and debarked. I have 2 doz. recently cut 5/8 to 7/8 shoots .All are 32 to 34 in. Not looking for anything in particular in trade , will consider all trades. Will be cutting more this weekend.
" The Right To Keep And Bear Arms"..Bows, Arrows, Spears, Celts...  Kevin , North Carolina

Offline HickoryBill

Re: Sourwood Shoots
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:37:19 am »
I got a couple knives. I would be willing to trade one for a dozen of the seasoned and debarked ones?  I also have a stock for a 870 remington( wood) any chance you might need one of those??? LOL
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 03:08:54 am »
Ahawi, did you know you can strip the bark off of sourwood any time and they won't check.
  Sourwood is my favorite arrowwood. Makes great hard hitting almost indestructable arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ahawi stick

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:45:39 am »
Pat, sourwood is my favorite arrow wood also, didn't know they would not check if scraped green, just have always waited 6 week or so. 
" The Right To Keep And Bear Arms"..Bows, Arrows, Spears, Celts...  Kevin , North Carolina

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:49:36 am »
I have cut fresh sourwood, scraped the bark, placed them under my wood stove and made an arrow 3 days later. They dry quite quickly when scraped.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ahawi stick

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 12:13:55 pm »
I will try that with some of the shoots i'll be cutting this weekend.

Offline ahawi stick

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 01:44:14 am »
All shoots have been traded. Thanks to all.

Ahawi stick