Author Topic: Importance of heavy arrows  (Read 15157 times)

Offline bucksbuoy

Importance of heavy arrows
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:40:27 pm »
I found this youtube video that proves the point that you must use a heavy arrow when hunting. This guy shoots a dead hog with a 70 lb. compound and a lighter weight arrow and gets 2 inches of penetration. This is what commercial archery retailers dont want you to know. Lighter arrows are faster and more accurate but utterly worthless for hunting. Watch this and try to imagine doing it with a 50 lb. self bow and a trade point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ1Mg0a7Tpw&feature=feedrec_grec_index
Its only wood

Offline Kegan

Re: Importance of heavy arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 02:41:37 pm »
Lighter arrows are faster and more accurate but utterly worthless for hunting.

Nope, heavier arrows are actually much more accurate. Even from compounds. They're less affected by wind and rain and, absorbing more of a bow's energy, leave less energy for handshock or vibration which helps hold steady during follow through.

Moral of the story: heavy arrows are just better ;D

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 02:44:36 pm »
Can't argue with that Kegan!
Its only wood

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 12:21:57 am »
Love the way he disparages the "3D setup" shooters.  You can shoot 3D cape buffalo all year long and brag about how great a hunter you are.  But the first day in the field under real hunting conditions and something is gonna be scaping you out from between his hooves that evening.

I read thru some of the comments posted below the video and was surprised to see someone bragging about what their Rage broadhead did to a 100 lb hog.  If you are gonna hunt piglets the Rage mechanical broadheads are fine, but Ashby's report shows 100% failure of Rage broadheads on big game!  If I owned the patent for Rage, I'd quietly let it die of embarassment.

I'm starting to think that mercury filled aluminum 2114 shafts with single bevel two blade might be the secret to hogs!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:19:02 am »
mercury filled eh? sounds dangerous  ;)
Its only wood

Offline Stephen Zachary

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 06:13:31 am »
My heavy aluminum arrows shoot much better than the light carbon ones i began with several years ago.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 01:54:56 pm »
How about sand filled???
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:13:37 pm »
meet you in the Middle and buy the Weighted Inserts for your Arrows...lot safer!!  As for Heavy Arrows...they are more Accurate..absorb more energy...but are much slower...thats the Only drawback...I shoot 580-600 grains out of my Stick Bows...but my Compound has never let me down with my Carbon Express CXL 250 Arrows...and G5 Broadheads...never not had a complete pass through...and massive Bleed Outs...but then I will not take an IFFY Shot either...they will walk...if it aint a Definite Kill Shot...JMO

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 02:32:29 pm »
I'm afraid that someone in the compound community is going to latch on to the heavier arrow idea and then the idea will be spawned that iffy shots are now ok becaue you get better penetration.  Heavier arrows are just part of the solution.  The need is for better ethics, more practice, knowledge of game physiology, bowhunter education and so on.  It's all part of the current shortcut mentality, something this forum fights tooth and nail against. 

I for one appreciate all that the people in this forum post on hunting.  I started hunting big game when I turned 40 (now 48) and I got a lot of catching up to do.  The biggest thing I have learned is that skipping the shortcuts pays off! 

Thanks.

-john

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 10:28:26 pm »
I shoot light carbon arrows out of my glass bows and never had a problem sticking hogs through both sides using single blade, sharp as hell broadheads in the 125 grn range. Then again, I'm shooting 60-65# bows and most of my shots are off my knees at around 5 to 8 yards.  ;D Oh yea, ask James Parker about cleaning his first 200#+ boar hog with a shield over 3" thick. 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline david w.

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 04:06:38 am »
I don't think heavy arrows will catch on in the compound crowd for a while.  I think there is a big push to have the first 400 fps bow. 
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 05:33:17 pm »
I'm with you David, that is all I hear when I talk to buddies about their compounds. All they talk about is whse bow is faster, and how much faster it is than one of my bows. That's when I tell them that my .300 WM is faster then their bows and shoots farther. >:D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 11:02:13 am »
I'm with you David, that is all I hear when I talk to buddies about their compounds. All they talk about is whse bow is faster, and how much faster it is than one of my bows. That's when I tell them that my .300 WM is faster then their bows and shoots farther. >:D

Good answer for those that think speed is the end-all and be-all of archery.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 07:18:59 am »
  Yo know compounders if your not shooting 3oo grain and 300 fps your not in the click. And most don't care about much else.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 02:44:15 am »
Just because you shoot carbons doesn't mean you can't have a beefy arrow either, they don't have to be broom handle woodies, or aluminum bolts to get superior penetration.

I have about 3 full sets of carbons all tuned for different set ups ranging in wt. from 480-495-512 grain weights for different wt. bows. The least I shoot is 9 grains per pound of draw weight and up to 11 gpp for the heavier bows.
My CX Predators have 100 gr. brass inserts with 100gr. Magnus Stinger or Buzzcut up front.
My Gold Tips have a 25gr. 2117 aluminum footing with 125gr. Magnus Snuffer up front.
And lastly the Arrow Dynamics arent' footed yet, but fly awesome with either of the two broadheads mentioned above and all thump with authority.

Momentum Kills, Not Speed!
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32