Author Topic: "Chief" Arm Guard (Finished)  (Read 10094 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Another Arm Guard - I'm calling him "Chief"
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 09:48:06 am »
Beautiful work! I've been doing some leather carving myself mostly on knife sheaths. Kinda of difficult for detail work because I don't have a lot of room to work with on such a small piece of leather as a sheath. I especially like the results of your dying combinations.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 09:53:08 am »
Just beautiful,I like that a lot. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 10:13:18 am »
Thank you Greg. I saw a sheath that you made with the squirrel.  Looks really good!

I found with the stain, if I dilute it with water it makes it easier to control the darkness of it.  It works well for areas that you want to be highlights.  Then in the shadow areas you can either go over the same area several time with the diluted stain and build up, or just use the straight stain undiluted.

Thanks Pappy!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 11:21:42 am »
Hey Cameroo, that is turning out awesome...the dye work really provides some depth and makes the work "pop."  Love it...when you did your initial layout what/how did you do the stencil work or put the pattern down on the cased leather?

Anyway, stunning work as usual...

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 12:37:53 pm »
Hey Lee,  thanks!  I don't have a picture of the "picture" that I used for the pattern (I'm at work  >:D ).  But usually what I'll do is just draw something out (or in this case I cheated and found a picture of "Chief" on google.  I am kinda artsy but not that great at drawing).  There are different ways to make the pattern.  For example, in the arm guard I made with the 2 deer, I used trace paper, put the outline of the arm guard on it, and then just filled the space by tracing different examples of leather carving from a book I bought.  In the case of Chief, I just printed it off on normal paper.

Then it's just a matter of casing the leather (wet it down with a sponge and let it sit a few minutes till the color goes back to normal, then the water has been absorbed and it's ready to tool), laying your patter on top (I tape it down so it doesn't slip), and then go over your lines with a scribe to transfer the design on to the leather.  With good veg-tanned leather, you don't have to press very hard at all.

Hope that answers your question. Better get back to work ;)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 01:08:45 pm »
Thanks bud, I'll give that a try...your work has really got me motivated to try a project I've had in the back of my mind for a while now.

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 01:57:20 pm »
Thanks bud, I'll give that a try...your work has really got me motivated to try a project I've had in the back of my mind for a while now.

Glad to hear it, keep us posted when you start!  One more tip - if you're unsure of whether or not something will work, just try it on some scrap first so you don't ruin your project half way through.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 02:11:27 pm »
That is looking really nice! The more I look at that the indian isnt off center I think it just looks like it a little because of his hair blowing in the wind to the one side ;D
GREAT WORK!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 02:36:11 pm »
That is looking really nice! The more I look at that the indian isnt off center I think it just looks like it a little because of his hair blowing in the wind to the one side ;D
GREAT WORK!

Ya, that's actually what I meant to say before.  The face is actually centered perfectly, but I wasn't really paying attention to how close the right arrowhead was when I layed it out. I was just looking along the outside edges to make sure they were the same distance in from the sides. No biggy though, I think it looks OK now :)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 02:42:26 pm »
Ya it sure does!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Postman

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 10:52:29 pm »
Excellent work!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 01:25:42 am »
Thank you Postman.

Here's the latest update.  Pretty much finished staining tonight.  Gotta put a finish on it and then put some eyelets in for the lace or bungee cord, and that should do it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: "Chief" Arm Guard (Finished)
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 11:54:12 am »
Your detail work sure makes these jump! Gives a real 3D effect.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 12:04:44 pm »
Truly amazing, that is Super Nice!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 12:27:24 am »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback, and your opinions mean a lot to me.

I put some Super Sheen on tonight (makes it hard to get pictures without glare), put the eyelets in, and laced a bungee cord on, although I'll probably swap it out for leather lace.  Here's the final pics.

Thanks for looking!