Author Topic: Elm Flight Bow  (Read 24571 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Elm Flight Bow
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:41:53 pm »
I made this little flight bow a few months ago.  It was an idea I had a few years ago that involved modifying the design of the flight bows I made several years ago.  I just never got around to doing anything with it until now.  The bow is made out of spliced billets of Elm and at 52" N to N the bow is short but it only draws to 25" where it pulls 43#.  It was a test bow so I didn't bother putting a finish on it.  Here's a couple pictures of it

I tested the bow with 2 different weight arrows.  With 6.5 GPP arrows it was getting this through my chrony

When I dropped the arrow weight to 5 GPP I was getting this through my chrony

I wrote an article for PA on it's construction and with more detailed picture, which I won't share here at this time.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline NTD

Re: Elm Flight Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:06:56 pm »
Dang Marc, I really love that design.  Might have to get a pair of billets and try that design again.  I'm looking forward to the article.  Thanks for the sneak peek.

Is there much difference between this bow and the high performance reflex recurve bows in the article you did a little while ago?
Nate Danforth

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:41:00 pm »
That looks real good.  The one I'd worked on I blew the tiller.  Got it bending out of the handle and it hinged so quick that it is basically a bust. >:(
Oh well, I'm over it, but another attempt will be made in the future.
1’—>1’

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:49:14 pm »
Sweet full draw pic.  What would those numbers translate to distance, just curious?
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:49:40 pm »
Wow thats cool and fast too, I know a guy that just bought a new bowtech destroyer binary cam compound bow at 60# and it shoots 260fps with a heavier arrow but man that is really impressive.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 01:52:44 pm by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 02:09:31 pm »
There are some slight differences Nate but you'll have to wait for the article to see them.

Those speeds should translate to 400+ yards with perfect arrow flight.  If it was a full 50# draw weight then it would do better that that.

Maybe you could quantify that Elk? That's 260 fps with what weight arrow?  A heavy arrow for a compound shooter might be 400 grains and that would work out to just under 7 GPP. 

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 02:15:23 pm »
Ya it was a 460 grains tottal arrow weight so I guess it not that heavy, thats funny considering it is one of the new flagship bows for 2010 and cost $900 just for the bow without sights and all the other gadgets ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline DEllis

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 04:00:20 pm »
I'd love to shoot a wood bow as fast as my buddies compound.......it'd drive him nuts >:D
That's fast.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline bambule

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 04:41:26 pm »
Ya great looking bow Marc and fantastic results.
What kind of string do you use on that bow for the results?

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline TBod

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 04:57:28 pm »
Cool!

What speed with a 10 GPP?

I did some amateur calculation with your data which gave about 195 fps with that bow.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 05:02:50 pm »
I was wondering when you say GPP is this grain per pound? I have heard GPI grains per inch thanks just wondering. What was the tottal arrow weight Mark? Thanks

Josh

Offline Barrage

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 05:27:02 pm »
Looks great Marc.  I will be looking forward to reading about this one.
Travis

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 06:50:29 pm »
Ya Josh thats grains per pound of draw weight. so a 50lb bow would shoot a 500grain arrow @10gpp
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 07:35:54 pm »
OK thanks

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 07:37:35 pm »
The string I was using was an 8 strand FF.  

Because this is a flight bow I never actually tested it with heavy arrows but I shot it this morning with a 400 grain arrow and was surprised at how fast they were going, no chrony though.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com