Author Topic: Timo Takes February Self Bows!  (Read 16703 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Timo Takes February Self Bows!
« on: March 08, 2011, 11:14:22 pm »
Congratulations to Tim Ott from Collins, Missouri for his Knotty Osage Bow Winner!!!

From Tim:
Been a spell since I have posted a bow, so figured I’d show ya this one. A friend approached me at Mojam last year and handed me a stave and says, ” Here ya go Timo, see what you can make outa this one”!  I said “ well … uh…gee..uh …Thanks?” ( I was mumbling under my breath all the way to the truck.

I throwed that stave up on top of all the other unfinished projects  and promptly forgot about it. It wasn’t   until the blizzard hit us and  socked us in for a good spell, that I ever thought about building any bows this year,but as the calling is, I started whittling wood. One afternoon, while I  was watching  some skins dry,  I  happened to see this old ugly wood tip sticking out, I grabbed it down and said, “ what the heck”.

Well two days later I had it pretty well whipped.

58” pin nocks/horn overs-52# @ 26”. 5  knot holes go plum through, and there were  4 worm holes all the way through also. I packed them with saw dust and shot them full of super glue. Figured it would be a bit rough in the hand but seems well mannered, and shoots a good arrow. I normally don’t like a real shiny finish but it just seemed to fit this bow, so I left it.
I dubbed this one, ”Trojan horse”

Cool story, Tim!  Here's some of the fine praise this bow recieved from our fellow forum members!
"thats just plain wicked looking! tiller is dead on. as always,nice work"  -sailordad
"That's some FINE work right there Timo!!! Beautiful, just beautiful, can't say much more than that." -Tattoo Dave
"Now that is sweet,great looking bow from a challenging piece of wood. It that the one you was working on when Me and Shanon was bothering you last weekend ?  :) Glad it didn't seem to affect your focus.  :) Very well done." -pappy
"Too many holes and stuff.  It will never hold up.  I can't beleive it even comes to full draw.  You photoshopped it, didn't you?  I won't believe it till I shoot it. You can send it to me, and I will evaluate it and send it back... Evil Grin  Beautiful!"    -Frank (sparrow)
"After seeing the pictures, my neighbor at MoJam showed me that stave as he was taking it to you, we had a good laugh. I figured you would get a bow out of it, but it is way better than I had envisioned. Incredible!!   I would like to see his face, when he sees it.
Beautiful job!!"
  -KentB
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:26:59 am by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Timo Takes February Self Bows!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 12:05:55 am »
Really nice bow and well-deserved win, Tim.  Congrats!  8)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:14:13 am »
That's the cream rising to the top right there!  Congrats Tim!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:41:26 am »
Great bow Tim,very well deserved win.Love to see it live. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 08:01:28 am »
Tim:  Are you going to bring that bow to the Classic?  I would really like to see it in person.  Beautiful!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:56:10 am »
Good job and well deserved.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 11:45:28 am »
Thanks to all who voted for this bow. It was a real joy to make.

Josh, not sure how well deserved it is,there were a lot of really nice bows this month. I think most were well deserving.

Pappy and Pokie, I am trying to figure a way to get down there this spring,still uncertain, but that persimmon log helped out the decision a good bit. I will bring it with me If I make it down there.Maybe just for a day, we will see.

Thanks again all.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 01:42:10 pm »
Timo, hope to see ya at the classic, an bring that knarly beautiful bow along, great job on some impossible lookin wood. Later Bob

HatchA

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 01:48:32 pm »
Nice win Tim.  I gave the Persimmon bow my vote - kinda got blinded ny the beautiful skin job.  At least they both came from the same maker ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 02:02:10 pm »
Congrats Tim. Very cool bow!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kerryb

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 03:24:41 pm »
Congrats, well deserved.
Milan Mo

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 03:48:28 pm »
Guess I wasted my vote on the persimmon bow, but this one's pretty nice too ;)

Offline uwe

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 03:52:04 pm »
One of these amazing February bows! I had another favourite, but to choose one wasn`t easy. I had another favourite, but this ine is as fine as the other bows.
Congrats
Uwe

Offline keef

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 04:18:24 pm »
 Well done Timo..Great bow and a worthy winner..Well done again!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 06:46:48 pm »
That's a swell bow Tim and fine win for February.
Gordon