Author Topic: Osage Bow For Trade  (Read 3413 times)

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
Osage Bow For Trade
« on: March 10, 2011, 01:21:28 pm »
I have an osage longbow that I would like to trade.  The bow was made for me by Damon Kent about five years ago, and is an excellent shooter.  The past three years I haven't been able to do as much shooting as I used to, so the 60# draw is a bit much for me now.  I would like to trade it for a similar bow with a 50# draw weight.

68"ntn
60#@28"

Snake Skin Backed (diamondback)

Some Character in the bow, particularly in the lower limb.
Straight handle, leather wrapped.
Upper limb tip is slightly twisted (was that way when I got the bow) but it has never posed a problem.
Excellent shooter!

I also have a few arrows that I am willing to include with the bow.
Primitive shafts (unknown hardwood shoot), 3 wild turkey fletch (12cm) with field tips & 2 orange flu-flu's with ACE Hex Blunts, self nocks, 29", would make excellent large game hunting arrows.

Please email or PM me with questions/offers.

Thanks,

NorthernArcher
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage Bow For Trade
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:44:44 pm »
I have a bow that Damon made me many years ago in my collection. Damon makes(made) very good bows. I don't need another but thought I throw in my testimonial.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NorthernArcher

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:56:48 pm »
Thanks, Pat.  It is a good bow.  I shot it extensively for about two years, then sporadically for the past three.  Excellent bow, just too heavy for me now.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 06:14:12 pm »
Could you re tiller to your weight  ? Seems like a nice bow, might as well take a few pounds off and keep it...
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline NorthernArcher

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:29:16 pm »
I considered retillering, but wasn't sure if it would work.  Is it really as simple as shaving a little off the belly to lower the draw weight, or are there other factors to consider given that the bow has already been in use for about five years?

Offline Brock

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:32:46 pm »
I would send it to bowyer to remove some weight...I had a 63# osage buffalo spirit and had John Strunk take it down to around 57#...refinished it and all.  Worth a shot if you really like the bow.

Offline John K

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:09:18 pm »
Have you built any bows before ? I don't see why you couldn't do it you'r self !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline NorthernArcher

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 10:43:18 pm »
I have built a few bows myself, but it has been a while.  The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward retillering it myself.  I'll have to make that a project for this summer.

Thanks, all, for the advice.  If any of you have retillered old bows before, feel free to offer advice.  I would hate to screw it up.

NorthernArcher

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 01:22:12 am »
If the tiller is good make your scrapes long and even and the same on both limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DEllis

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 01:58:23 am »
To keep the scrape depth even you can use a rasp and rough up the belly.....the teeth tend to cut quite consistent depth grooves and then scrape the rasp marks away......be sure to quit scraping when the rasp marks(your depth guides) dissapear. This works well for me.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline NorthernArcher

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 03:28:50 am »
Pat & Darcy,

Thanks for the advice.  I think I'll give it a try.
I'll be sure to let y'all know how it turns out  :)

NorthernArcher