Author Topic: west coast brace height  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Blacktail

west coast brace height
« on: March 09, 2011, 03:46:40 pm »
i looked around on some old topics but cant seem to find a round about answer..does any one have an idea what a good brace height would be on a west coast Indian bow..thanks john

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: west coast brace height
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 05:24:27 pm »
West coast bows varied quite a bit.  If you are talking about paddle bows, then the brace height is around 5".  I don't think I've seen any bows of that area with brace heights much higher than that.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 05:39:27 pm »
thanks pat..i have a 41'' oak that is sinew backed and its 2'' at the widest...i strung it up last night and got a 4'' brace..BUT,then i asked myself how much brace height should it have...i think the 4'' will be good...thanks for the info ..john

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:38:25 pm »
I try to set mine at 5", 4 hit's me right in the back of the hand, but I have arthritis in my wrist's and their real stiff, can't cock my wrist much
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:23:46 pm »
hey John, you might try to send billy berger a pm he did a lot of research with his smithsonian article. there was a bow that was still strung, he may be able to tell you. I keep mine kinda shallow about 5" because I try to draw them to bout 26".