Author Topic: points???  (Read 6188 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
points???
« on: March 10, 2011, 05:12:35 pm »
Ok quick questions since i can not knapp other than glass and i want to make hunting arrows that are legal which means  made of iron or steel. what have you guys made tips out of for whitetails? and hogs? what materials have you guys used and how did you cut it?
doc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: points???
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 05:21:55 pm »
Old industrial bandsaw blades make great trade points. You might find some of this on the Trading Post. Also freight banding straps works well too. Any good steel that is about .050 thick should work for trade points. Check your local hunting regs for legal size and shapes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 07:12:47 pm »
Score and snap along ceterline.  Shape and sharpen with a bench grinder.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:15:44 am »
    I grind my from old saw mill blades 1095 steel workable but temper hard enough to my shape heads.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:16:55 pm »

HEY!  I got some of those,,,do you by chance have a pic of a finished one?   ???
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 12:11:13 am »
I'll take a pic and post it soon.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 03:28:26 am »
Thanks!  I need visual aids to make anything!!   ;D
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 10:58:21 am »
I've got a bunch of old bandsaw blades if you're interested in making trade points out of them.  Just let me know.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 11:57:50 am »
I've got a bunch of old bandsaw blades if you're interested in making trade points out of them.  Just let me know.

That sounds good,I used to get out and find stuff like that all the time,since my heart attacks a few years ago I dont get out near as much as I would like, headed to see the doc this morning,{regular visit} E-mail me or ill e-mail you this afternoon. Thanks    Rick

Offline johnston

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 05:08:12 am »
jturkey I have access to good quality metal scraps and would gladly send you a selection if you like. pm me and we will set it up.

Lane

JustinNC

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 01:11:16 pm »

I just tried this with some points I made for Pat B. Works extremely well and I get 2 points from one wheel instead of 1 point per wheel  ;D

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 03:36:41 pm »

I just tried this with some points I made for Pat B. Works extremely well and I get 2 points from one wheel instead of 1 point per wheel  ;D
pics??????????

JustinNC

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 03:51:20 pm »

pics??????????

That'd make entirely too much sense.........but if I remember when I get home, pics I shall post.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 06:47:07 pm »

No offense but I wouldn't use that on big game.  My older brother used some light gauge, high temper steel points he made about 20 years ago, made from those disposable handsaws.  He shot a big buck and the point hit bone.  Penetration was very poor and we didn't recover that deer
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

JustinNC

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 07:28:29 pm »

No offense but I wouldn't use that on big game.  My older brother used some light gauge, high temper steel points he made about 20 years ago, made from those disposable handsaws.  He shot a big buck and the point hit bone.  Penetration was very poor and we didn't recover that deer

Not sure how Patrick meant it, but I cut half or a little more of the way through the bandsaw material I use. Once you cut completely through it, it flat out eats cutting wheels. I may haft one up before I send them out to Pat B and double check my method, as these are the first I've made using the cut part way and them snap them out method. Ive cut them completely out and tested them with no ill effects, but no animals, so cant say for sure.