Author Topic: Stone point weight?  (Read 1965 times)

Offline bareshaft12

Stone point weight?
« on: March 02, 2011, 01:50:11 am »
 ??? Whats an average grain most of you hunt with a stone point? Or do you just go by lenght and with?

Offline iowabow

Re: Stone point weight?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:22:01 am »
I barrowed my neighbors arrowhead collection and sorted out the points into different categories and types. The points ranged from 50, 100. 150.  I think the answer is based on the spine of the arrow and the wt of the bow. I shoot a 100 grain head. The calculation is based on the wt of the bow and the length of the arrow and the spine of the arrow. I  have an arrow spine tool and it is for measuring the spine of the arrow and a grain scale to measure the wt of the arrowhead. The calculation can be complicated and there are threads that explain it better than I can but the arrowhead wt can also change the spine of the arrow. The spine needs to be correct or the arrow will shoot left or to the right. Your correct wt will be achieved when you do the calculations as it relates to your specific equipment.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 04:19:59 am »
the buck i killed this year was with a texas chert point was probably about 90 grains. really you want to keep ranges close 12y and under and point weight doesnt matter as long as you are used to how high or low the arrow flys. nice small points do great with less drag imo. i debated a long time about what style and size worked the best and after killing one, i realized keep it 12y and under and just about any works great as long as it is real sharp.  look at all the originals from different time periods and home ranges.. styles and sized vary.. they all work, you just need a thin profile, smooth transition and it be as sharp as possible..throw a "pretty" edge out the window and trade it in for a scary sharp edge..lol  although a lot of times stone edges are like welds in the sense that pretty is sharper (or stronger when talking bout welds) a good uniform edge can be really sharp, you just have to avoid blunt spots.  and sometimes i end up making a  "divot" in the edge of a point to get rid of a blunt spot...is it pretty? no but its sharp.   ok sorry for the long reply...just finished that bottle of sangria i posted in the "around the campfire forum"..lol..
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:07:22 am »
my hunting points tend to range around 50-70 grains. i use to weigh them and now i just know. for me the key is to use a heavy tapered shaft. i use a lot of hickory and maple. baresshaft weight for the heavy white woods is 550 grains. by the time im done the arrows are 600-650
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:59:54 pm »
I made a nice kirk style point last night,its 2 inches long,1 inch wide thin.it was about 50 grains on my scale.well I quess im going to have to test some.A big thanks to everyone.

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 05:02:57 pm »
Like Jamie my points range from 50-70 grains.I practice with 100 grain field points.  My hunting arrow fly true from 10-15 yds with a slight rise at 15 yds . Beyond that there is a significant difference in flight. I have been looking for a field point around 70 grains (glue on) but haven't had much luck.If anyone knows where one can be had I would appreciate the help.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:26:34 pm »
Tower I made mine last year from copper pipe from lowes. I cut to 5 grains over wt and squeezed the tip closed and cut 45s on both sides. Worked great.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 03:24:33 pm »
Thanks for the idea. I haden't thought of that.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 01:47:10 pm »
Lancaster archery has glue on field points that are 75gr.  I know they have them for 5/16th.  I don't know about 11/32.  You can google them, they are good to work with.

Bill