Author Topic: feathers cutting my hand does it make a difference?  (Read 4169 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: feathers cutting my hand does it make a difference?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 05:15:55 pm »
Here is a "how to" for the Ferret's Floppy Rest.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 05:21:15 pm »
thanks ill have to give that a try
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 05:23:50 pm »
Sorry for the double p ;Dost but it is good enough to post twice!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline johnston

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 09:46:31 pm »
Thanks for the drawing. I made one earlier and wrapped it to the bow but it did not function cleanly. The folded shelf should do the trick.

Lane

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 12:15:32 am »
I had the same problem shooting off the knuckle and I switched fletching.  I shoot right handed, but prefer left wing feathers.  When my arrows would go across my hand, it seemed like they were already trying to spin to the right, kind of trapped between my hand and the riser.  I switched to left wing feathers and now they spin away from the riser and I haven't been cut since.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 03:59:16 am »
Thanks for all the info guys

madcrow I will try that now that you mention it the ones that cut me are right wing, I have some lefts ill try.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 08:27:22 am »
everything these guys said is true. only thing i can add is unless the quill is left thick there is no reason it should hit your hand. if it does it usually means you are plucking the string or your nocking point on the string is too low. a good clean loose and a slightly higher nock should fix the problem. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 02:03:10 pm »
Plucking the string? I play guitar and mandolin so I know what plucking a string is but could you explain that to me please ;D I just let the string slide off my fingers as I pull through full draw?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 07:12:17 pm »
plucking just means it isnt a clean loose. doesnt have to be from the string coming off your fingers. it could be because the hand isnt going straight back. this happens a lot if people use the bicep muscle to pull rather than the back muscles. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline shikari

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 02:09:33 pm »
I used to have the same problem till I started stripping the feathers,this solved the problem and now I wrap the fletches in silk as well,looks a lot prettier too.