Author Topic: Holmegaard  (Read 4640 times)

Offline SiongSA

Holmegaard
« on: March 12, 2011, 03:12:23 pm »
Just cut a white stave its 55inch and about 2.5 inches wide nice and straight, wanted to make a molly, is it fees-able to make one this small? if not what other design would you suggest making, any dimensions?

Sion

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Holmegaard
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 03:30:12 pm »
Holmies and Molles are two different bow styles. Check out Half eye's(Rich) threads. He has successfully made quite a few Molles that short and shorter I believe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

youngbowyer

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 03:30:38 pm »
i wouldnt go for a molly design on such a short stave. remember that a mollegabet bow only has short working limbs and if you attempt a molly with such a short stave you will end up with a very short drawlength. I would make a pyramid flatbow with wide limbs or a simple D bow.

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 03:39:45 pm »
Holmies and Molles are two different bow styles. Check out Half eye's(Rich) threads. He has successfully made quite a few Molles that short and shorter I believe.
Well if it can be done i'll try it, do you have any links to half eye's threads?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 04:33:58 pm »
Send Rich (half eye) a PM, he has been very helpful to me. He has successfully made a 39" molle. He did make it from quarter sawn lumber though, rather than a stave...I think.
Rockford, MI

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 04:39:02 pm »
dropped rich a pm, thanks guys

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
Genesis 27: 3

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 09:52:27 pm »
Rich made me a 63" ntn Molle that draws 30" with no problem at all.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 10:01:35 pm »

Yeah, but Rich is what we call a "bow whisperer".  If I tried that I'd make a nice batch of kindling.  What I wouldn't give to spend a long weekend in his shop with him. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 01:52:08 am »

It is a red elm self bow.

Yes Rich has a way with wood.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline RyanY

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 03:07:59 am »
With a stave that size your limited with your draw length. Also the high crown will limit your width as well and the holmegaard design at this short a length would require limbs wider than what your stave can offer. I'd suggest a d-bow so that your utilizing as much working wood as possible. Most people would suggest not narrowing a working handle but if you could design the bow to be 2" wide for the inner 1/2 of the limb length and narrow the handle to a more comfortable 1.5", the extra limb width would make the bow much less stressed. Then narrowing the outer half of the limb length to an eiffel tower shape and keeping the last few inches stiff in the tiller would be what I would consider a good design for that length with a max draw length of 26". That's what I would do but I'm not sure if the bow would end up being 2" wide because of the crown of the stave.

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 06:38:12 am »
With a stave that size your limited with your draw length. Also the high crown will limit your width as well and the holmegaard design at this short a length would require limbs wider than what your stave can offer. I'd suggest a d-bow so that your utilizing as much working wood as possible. Most people would suggest not narrowing a working handle but if you could design the bow to be 2" wide for the inner 1/2 of the limb length and narrow the handle to a more comfortable 1.5", the extra limb width would make the bow much less stressed. Then narrowing the outer half of the limb length to an eiffel tower shape and keeping the last few inches stiff in the tiller would be what I would consider a good design for that length with a max draw length of 26". That's what I would do but I'm not sure if the bow would end up being 2" wide because of the crown of the stave.
thats sounds good, but maybe if i chase a ring on the back i be able to get it nice and wide, what do you think, chased ring without backing?