Author Topic: Plains Indian Osage bow (Pics)  (Read 37113 times)

Offline sweeney3

Re: Plains Indian Osage bow (Pics)
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 12:16:54 pm »
Now that is a neat piece of work.  What method did you use to put that much setback in that narrow spot on the handle?  I guess what I am asking is a "How did you do it?" I might could squeeze a couple of short bows such as that from the one gnarly Osage on my place here.  There isn't enough clear wood on it for a real flat or long bow.  Well, not wood that I can work with, anyway.   ;)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 12:17:34 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  A great bunch of folks on here.  That is an outstanding bow.  Not to mention the arrows and the other you posted.  Tiller on the first bow posted,  is as good as it gets.  Short, sinew backed D bows are my favorite. And that one is a perfect example.  Fine work.
Traverse City, MI

Offline jwillis

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 12:22:35 pm »
Welcome to PA Eric. I agree with Pat, I love the way the limbs reflex at the handle then bend around at brace...makes a sweet looking profile. Jim

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 12:34:04 pm »
The strings on these bows are dacron b-50. However I do make sinew strings on occasion.

I am 90 ,miles south of OKC.

Springer...Gene Autry...Ardmore?? been all over those areas
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 01:30:54 pm »
how do you induce the reflex in the handle? I really like that style. Makes me want to go bunny hunting.
Its only wood

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 01:53:51 pm »
As to the question on how this is done...there are several ways to put a "set back" in a bow. You can use, lard and heat, dry heat, or steam. Now when you use steam you are putting moisture back in the wood and this could cause checking and cracking so When stem is used you should coat the bow in some kind of sealer so it can cure slowly and loose the moisture without damaging the wood. I seal with bacon grease.
When you use lard and heat you are basically using the lard to lubricate the wood fibers to help protect them from the heating process.
And dry heat has to be done very carefully because you can not get the wood to hot or it will burn or split. So those are some of the methods that are used to achieve these bends. I would never reccomend boiling the wood if it's osage because the boiling although allows for great bends it seems to take something away from the wood.
Always degrease!
I will say that many bowyers prefer steam but to me that is the least favorable.
 The bows with the greatest set back are very difficult to make and tiller.

Eric
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:57:25 pm by IndianGuy »

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2011, 02:32:59 pm »
Eric,

Love your work. Its nice to see someone that has that style mastered. I bet its a great hunting bow being a shiort as it is. The tiller on the first one is as good as it gets. The second one is good too but the first one looks perfect. Glad your here.
 Are you familiar with Ojam. Its south of Stillwater near Perkins. The dates are Mar17-21 and there are alot of self bowyers gonna be there. Great camping, bow and arrow making, flintknapping 3d shooting and at night around the fires story telling. you should come if you can.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

HatchA

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2011, 02:55:47 pm »
Welcome Eric, like your work VERY much!!

Great looking arrows.  Turkey tail feathers?  How've you attached them to the shafts?

Also - you NEED to post a build-along on how you make your trade points!!  :)  I've got some from Kustom King for my tonkin shafts but would love to make my own some day.

Offline keef

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 04:41:32 pm »
 Great advice Indianguy.. I will take heed of your views on heat treating and bending, This is invaluable to me as i'm starting out in the world of bowmaking.
I too would love to see a build along on one of your fine bows

Cheers

keith

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 05:46:49 pm »
Very nice bows. You do excellent work! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SA

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 06:01:15 pm »
really like the bow.     im in norman good to see more oklahomans here
Shawn Acker

Offline Traxx

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 06:13:02 pm »
Wait till you guys see more pics of his work.Eric does real nice skin and beadwork as well.Hes been known to do some great buidalongs too.And he's even a real live Native American.
Sorry Eric,I just had ta throw that in there.I know you understand.LOL

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2011, 06:21:30 pm »
Hello Jawge!  :)
Traxx, your killing me kere! LOL

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2011, 06:33:42 pm »
We love build alongs!!! :D Dont keep us waiting.
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2011, 06:57:35 pm »
Great looking bows!  Welcome to Pa as well (I'm new here too but didn't nearly as much to the table) and I look forward to seeing more of your work, especially any beadwork or stuff with skins, feathers, etc.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~