Author Topic: Tree ID in Florida  (Read 2236 times)

Offline jpitts

Tree ID in Florida
« on: March 17, 2011, 03:10:34 pm »
Hi guys. Been a long time since I've been on here. Hope everyone is doing great.
I saw a tree down near Plant City this past weekend that was both in a park and larger versions in peoples yards. The bark was scaly or fissured like a hackberry and the shorter versions had very spindly upper limbs that resembled a willow with red tubular blooms. The taller trees were very straight.
I was wondering if anyone from Florida knew what kind of tree this is or experience trying to make a bow from it....I may be able to get some pics from my nephews later...

Thanks
Jimmy
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline donnieonetrack

Re: Tree ID in Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:46:51 pm »
Jimmy, post a pic if you can.  I live in north Fl. and maybe I can help.

Donnie
Donnie Wilkerson
Gainesville, Florida

Offline jpitts

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 12:56:35 am »
Thanks Donnie. I'll see if I can get one.

Jimmy
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 12:57:17 am »
 Sounds like a Bottle Brush but, pictures would be easier. When I get home this weekend I'll take a picture of the one in my yard. If it was pinkish-purple, it might have been a Tababue, or commonly called,Ipe. They are being planted all over Lakeland and Plant City. The flowers are also yellow.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:07:54 am by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jpitts

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 01:34:51 am »
Thanks Mullet,
I just sent my nephews a pic request. They were planted in the median around and in the park at Walden Lakes. I also saw a few 30' ones in peoples yards. Now that I've been bitten by the bow bug, I look at every tree and wonder....   ;D
The leaves were very narrow and sticking out opposite sides of a thin limb....like a willow. The blooms were tubular shaped...about 2 inches long and red. Hopefully the boys can get me some pics this weekend....should have gotten some when I was there....
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 05:22:12 pm »
Jimmy, If this is the tree you are talking about, it is a Weeping Bottle Brush. And they are in Walden Lake. Here's pictures of the different stages of the blooms and bark.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline jpitts

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 01:47:59 am »
Thanks Mullet. Thats it. Do you think it would be a worthy bow wood? I'm just curious....
BTW, I really enjoyed your article on Hog Hunting in the latest issue.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 10:26:43 am »
 Jimmy, I've never thought about trying to build a bow from one. You very seldom see one half straight except an old one in a Park or someones yard.

And Thanks for the compliment. I hope to do another one when I stick something with my Horn bow.
Lakeland, Florida