Author Topic: "Summer Stalker" Arrows  (Read 36709 times)

Offline Kegan

"Summer Stalker" Arrows
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:45:48 pm »
Here are the arrows for my little Stalker bow. Golden rod shaft, cut to 28", with thread reinforced selfnocks and Seminole one-fletch. The trade points are from scrap steel my father had and are hafted with some pine pitch.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 01:53:47 pm by Kegan »

Offline DanaM

Re: "Summer Stalker" Arrows
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 02:50:06 pm »
Nice arra's, goldenrod eh, ya meet the weed that makes us sneeze from the pollen?

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 03:25:29 pm »
Cool arrows Kegan. You are quite talented ;D. I have cut a few goldenrod shoots as well as dog fennel and horse weed for arrows but I've not made an arrow from any of them yet.   
   Dana, actually, it's not goldenrod that makes you sneeze but probably ragweed. The goldenrod blooms at the same time and is more obvious so everyone thinks it's the goldenrods fault. ::)
    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

tpoof

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 04:03:05 pm »
Wow Kegan! Those arrows look to be plucked from the past!!!  They are a great accompaniment for your fine bow!
Great show of talent!  You got the skills.... ;) ;D

Minuteman

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 10:22:20 pm »
Kegan are those some of the stuff I sent you? They look purty mean fer sure!
 Make sure you seal 'em with some fat or wax or something they will dry out too much if you don't.
 Describe the fletching method for me. Split the shaft and insert the feather?
 Chris
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 10:24:14 pm by Minuteman »

Dustybaer

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 03:29:55 am »
very well done, kegan.  they got the look.   ;D

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 07:50:58 pm »
Kegan are those some of the stuff I sent you? They look purty mean fer sure!
 Make sure you seal 'em with some fat or wax or something they will dry out too much if you don't.
 Describe the fletching method for me. Split the shaft and insert the feather?
 Chris

Yup- those are the ones you sent me :). I'll make sure to seal them- got a few more made up last night.

As for the fletchings- you trin off any quill not holding on the "hairs" and smash the rest of the quill as flat as possible. Split the shaft and tuck the feather in. Tie it all up and cut the nock perpendicular to the split- works like a charm outta a heavy arrow or lighter bow out to 20 yards. Easy to make too ;D!

Thanks everyone!

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 12:53:43 am »
Cool arrows, how do they shoot, the only seminole one fletch I have made shot poorly and I have yet to figure out why.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 03:04:10 pm »
Cool arrows, how do they shoot, the only seminole one fletch I have made shot poorly and I have yet to figure out why.     Kenneth

The method i tricky to get to work outta all bows and on all arrows. The arow need be heavier than you normally would use for that bow. They don't spin the shaft, simply guide it like a dart. Try making them longer and heavier- worked for me several times.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 06:11:27 pm »
             Wing feathers spin the shaft.bob

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 09:22:15 pm »
             Wing feathers spin the shaft.bob

What do you mean ???? For the seminole method, the feather as two opposite cups and simply stabalizes, as the two curves fight for the direction of the spin. If you used two feathers split in half it would spin, but not so much in this case :P

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 12:16:43 am »
               I take it you know a lot about the "seminole method" as you call it and you have made many of  these arrows. Interesting advice you are givin out.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 12:36:44 am »
    Uh,oh.. :(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 01:56:58 am »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Minuteman

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 10:01:33 am »
So Bob, is he wise beyond his years or wet behind the ears? :o
Kegan I believe Kowechobe IS the style of fletching yer talking about if I'm not mistaken. Now bein' of native american blood doesn't make you an archery expert but I believe Bob's been hunting with indian style longbows and primitive fletched arrows for some time now.
 You might want to qualify things you think are statements of fact as observations you've made instead of hard and fast truths. Not trying to erode your confidence or anything its just that on this board there is a whole lot of experience on a whole lot of facets of primitive archery. I've been straightened out by a 14 year old boy before!
 But hey they are cool arrows whether they spin or not. I'd be hard pressed to tell if they were spinning in flight anyway, and I'm darn sure the deer won't tell the difference. You're doin fine work. Chris