Author Topic: Started my trade bow - full draw and shipped  (Read 31042 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Started my trade bow
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2011, 04:20:42 am »
Man I would leave it alone as far as bending limb tips it looks great! Im very impressed at what you turned that twisted up stick into :o great job!!!imo

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline DEllis

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2011, 03:45:34 pm »
I agree with Elktracker, awesome job on that very challenging stave. I don't think you should mess with it anymore either. Nice work on that George :) Can't wait to see it all prettied up.
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

HatchA

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2011, 04:36:04 pm »
Thirded!!  Keep the shape in them!

Looking good, man.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2011, 12:52:10 am »
Finished up the tip overlays.  Every time I get to the overlays I think about doing some other wood, but then I do mesquite again.  I just love the look.

I put some wonderful antelope rawhide on the bow today (thanks JW).  Once it dries the finishing fun begins.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2011, 12:57:53 am »
Nothing prettier than mesquite.. Nothing.. Well, I'm partial being a Texican and all....

Tease em George.. Tell em bout the scales it's gonna have  :D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2011, 12:58:23 am »
Very nice George!  I like the looks of the Mesquite.  My father-in-law's father moved to the USA from Argentina and started a Beef Ranch in Bakersfield, CA.  He has long since passed and unfortunately the Ranch went belly up this spring but when my Father-in-law when out there to visit and help his brother get his papers in order he remembered I liked wood so he grabbed a chainsaw and hacked me off two nice chunks of Mesquite.  I have them sealed and drying as we speak and I hope to use some of it for knife handles for my boys, my Father-in-law and myself and maybe have some leftovers for overlays.  

I've heard that the desert goat rawhide makes a real good backing, love to try it but rarely see it listed on the Trade Blanket or anywhere else.  How does it compare to White-tail?

Thanks~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2011, 01:37:54 am »
Mr, C, what was that snake, diamondback water snake?  Sure is pretty and will look nice on the bow.

Lee, make sure you have the bark off that mesquite.  The borers like it better than any other wood I've found.  You can hear them eating on it and, unlike osage, they will eat completely through the wood in no time.  I had to cut a couple pieces before I found some wood that wasn't swiss cheese.  Those should be special knives, I'm sure they'll be beautiful.  When you run out let me know, we have it down here in abundance.

The desert goat rawhide is like paper, unbelievably thin, much thinner than deer rawhide.  I have enough to do 1 more bow, have to pick a good one.  We have a goat season down here.  I'll have to drive out El D's way to find them though.  You can bet if I shoot one I'll be treating the hide very carefully so I get some more rawhide.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2011, 01:59:27 am »
Just water snake with a dark green pattern and a yellow belly
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2011, 01:38:33 am »
One more picture.  The bow is waiting for the rawhide to fully dry, it's good I started trying to knapp so I don't get antsy waiting for the next step.  The rawhide isn't all that pretty just yet.

But soon...  Now that the A/C is running pretty hard it should dry out quicker in the house than in the shop.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2011, 01:59:09 am »
You need to send a before picture of the stave with that bow so the new owner can show what that beauty came from ;D Nice job!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2011, 01:40:13 am »
Just a quick update, working at finishing the bow up.  Here's a look at one of the limbs.  Won't be long now.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline DEllis

« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2011, 01:53:00 am »
That's not nice to only show one little teaser pic George. Looks awesome from this angle ;D
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline criveraville

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2011, 03:15:23 am »
I agree with Darcy, Jorge >:( Let em show, don't be shy  O:)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2011, 04:01:17 am »
I took about a dozen pictures, and the thing is photo shy or something.  I'm really having trouble getting the hide to show up because of the dark tips.  Doesn't photograph very well...or maybe the photographer can't take a picture worth a hoot. ::)  I'll try again in the sun, but will probably wait until the handle wrap is on.  It's just about done.  Hope to be putting the finishing touches on this weekend.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2011, 01:46:29 pm »
That is a beauty George, I thought mesquite was a desert garbage tree used for bbq. didn't know it was so pretty.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis