Author Topic: twist or something else?  (Read 3408 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
twist or something else?
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:56:07 am »
Ok, I have this older, 3 yrs, white oak bow I made did not pay that much attention to it back then i guess because when i strung it today it had a twist in the limbs I think. i'll post some pics tomorrow too late in the day and could not find the camera the string is still following the center of the handle. Even when drawn 20 inches that is about when my dad saw the twist. was wondering if both limbs are twisting the same and the string is still centered on the handle is it dangerous to shoot or is it still a shooter.it was made from a pin oak or swamp oak as a test bow it is 58" tip to tip 1.75" at the fades and tapers to just over 3/4" at the tips not sure of the draw was going to test it when the twist was noticed now i can see the twist when unstrung but not real bad though. the handle is a slight bend through the handle shoot off the nuckle 1.25" wide by 3/4" thich and 4.5" long handle with 1.5"  to fades.the limbs in the 3 years have taken about 2.25 inches of set also wondering what i could do about fixing that if possible left some  cambian layer on for camoflage and looks. was thinking about somekind of backing but not sure what i could use this long into the process. any suggestions
ok decided to take pics found camera in computer desk lol not strung or braced due to the need to know if it is safe thing .
doc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: twist or something else?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 01:03:53 am »
With wood bows, that is called straight!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jturkey

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:13:17 am »
lol pat when it is strung and due to my inability to figure out how to make this camera work any better it is hard to see in these pictures but when both limbs bend they seem to twist kind of like a propeller they are bending even just not straight line. let me findd its string and i'll string it and see if i can get a picture of it a little better. just scared now that it will let loose or blow now that i see it lol
doc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 01:21:34 am »
A little twist in a wood bow is no biggie. As long as the string bisects the handle area it will shoot fine.
 You can check the limb thickness from side to side. It is common to take more off one side when working from a vice mounted to a work bench. I use my thumb and fingers to check thickness and if you check across the limb you may find one side of each limb is thicker than the other.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jturkey

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 01:23:03 am »
OK pat this is it strung to a 5 inch brace height  and from the top of one limb not sure how else to show it.
doc

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 01:42:52 am »
yup,thats prop twist

like pat said
check limb thickness
take one limb and look at both sides and compare the thickness

i do this with the bow strung
if you have it at bace and set it on the floor you can actuall see right where the twist is starting
then just look at the side and see if they are the same thickness
some times you cant see the differance
then,like pat said,take thumb and forfingers
pinch each side of the limb,and slide up and dowm slowly(both hands at the same time)
any differance in thicknes should be felt
then just lightly take some wood from the strong side of the limb and recheck after excersizing it  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline jturkey

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 01:54:26 am »
just went over it with my hands i'll have to get my micrometer out tomorrow because i could not feel any  diifference in the thickness along the limb and do not remember them being prop twissted 2 yrs ago when i hung it up to rest this used to be my turkey bow and it used to shoot dead on to 35 yards. just wondering what would have caused it to do this after a whole year of shootign and then 2 yrs of resting lol. maybe i should have shot it more lol
doc

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 01:57:50 am »
well there you go
its mad at you  :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline jturkey

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 02:12:25 am »
figured as much lol. will not happen again.
doc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 02:46:39 am »
Shoot it the way it is. There is no need to elimimate the twist for the bow to shoot well.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 08:22:57 am »
It probably just dried/seasoned and twisted, I have seen a lot of bows do that,at least each limb went opposite,I have seen them go the same and then the string alignment is off,What you have won't hurt anything. You could heat and take it out if you want. I doubt it's limb thickness,with both limbs doing the same thing. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 09:58:14 am »
I'd shoot it just the way it is.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline jturkey

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 11:18:22 am »
got up at for this morning to go hunting but my partner said he did not feel like going so i went to work measureing this bow and it is not thickness wish i would have read what you guys wrote before taking an hour out of my morning but hey at least i know. thanks for the input i'll let you know if it still shoots the same. or better.
doc

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 12:10:46 pm »
It is fine. That's a propellor twist. Not a problem. to shoot. Enjoy your bow. THis one is twisted more. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/aerobow.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jturkey

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 02:42:56 am »
shot it today it has lost a little of its zip that i remembered but me and my dad still had fun shooting it at 30 yards still on target and cast well over 150 yrds with its 26'' arrows lol
doc