Author Topic: I'm starting a new bow  (Read 3091 times)

Offline toymaker

I'm starting a new bow
« on: March 19, 2011, 01:12:40 am »
This may be a new Acronym..

WOBA

I just started a White Oak backed Ash bow. If all goes well, It's going to be a 2" wide 64" 26" draw 30ish lb draw weight flat bow for my wife. She wants it to be purple  :o
I hope it turns out!

Offline gstoneberg

Re: I'm starting a new bow
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 01:51:26 am »
WOBA works for me, but I'm not keeper of the acronyms  :)  I'm impressed with your clamp collection, and I can't wait to see the bow!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:13:36 am »
white oak is tough as nails and a great backer, can't wait to see it finnished, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 11:50:29 am »
You have all your clamps facing the same way, this puts a lot of weight on one side of your glue-up. I like to stager mine, one from the right, one from the left. I have much larger clamps and can twist a stave on glue-up if i put them all on one side.

Offline snag

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 02:29:39 pm »
Really like your "portable bow press setup"!
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 03:10:04 pm »
You have all your clamps facing the same way, this puts a lot of weight on one side of your glue-up.

I think you are wrong Eric. I can see some clamps on the other side.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline toymaker

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 11:29:13 pm »
All my clamps are on one side but it would also have to twist 2"x2" of Ash clamped in the middle and at tips to a 2X4 of pine on edge. It didn't twist a bit.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 12:38:25 am »
im jealous if i had ya'lls clamps i might could make a bow !!. looking forward to seeing this one !!

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 12:53:39 am »
im jealous if i had ya'lls clamps i might could make a bow !!. looking forward to seeing this one !!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....AHAHAHAHAHAHA.....AHAHAHAHAHA....ok...I'm done now. ;D ;)

I bet Ash and white oak will make a fine bow....about the purple....well I guess it is for the wife...I prefer p.. er I mean oxblood myself.
Nate Danforth

Offline toymaker

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 10:43:56 pm »
Oooohhhhhhhhhh FAIL...Twice on the same bow :o
I laid the  bow out for 64" with  2" wide pyramid to 1/2" tip limbs.  The backing was .075 (maybe too thin being the issue). I trimmed the bow to the pyramid width and the thickness (.475ish). Then I rounded the corners everywhere. It bent pretty good so I long stringed it and started exercising it a little at 6" and 15 lbs. I got to about 25 count and stopped and decided to look it over good. Found a few rough spots and got out the sanding block. While sanding it, a  splinter caught the sandpaper. Deep and wide no chance of gluing it because a piece of sand paper stayed deep into the crack. It was about halfway up the limb and looked to be all the way through the backing. So I let it sit overnight for me to cool off a bit... I looked it over and decided if I relaid out the bow I could trim the crack out of it. I trimmed it out and the bow was now 1 1/4" wide instead of the two inches originally planned. I also made it 4" shorter.  I thought well I could just make it a kids bow. So I continued, rounding, sanding. I went back to the tillering tree and started exercising it again. At about 25 pulls to 6" and  10lbs. CRACK............ other limb crack through the backing again..

Do you think .075 is a bit thin for White Oak??

Offline NTD

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 11:03:04 pm »
I would want my backing to be at least 1/8" or in your speak .125

How's the grain on your backing strip?  Any pics?

if it's quarter sawn you have to be careful...tiny pin knots that run completely through the grain can be easy to miss.  I made that mistake with Ash.
Nate Danforth

Offline toymaker

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 11:22:54 pm »
The Oak backing has nearly perfect 1/4 sawn grain. 1 runout over 6'

Offline johnston

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 04:34:13 am »
Sorry for the aggravation but on the bright side you have a wife that wants a bow. A purple bow at that. And you have 200 clamps. Life ain't all bad. ;D

Lane