Author Topic: Cracks in the knots  (Read 5940 times)

Offline Psycho

• Free to roam.
Cracks in the knots
« on: May 30, 2007, 12:30:59 pm »
Was warming up the bow today before stringing and heard a slight crack. Inspected the bow and found these small cracks in the knots. No other cracks could be found. Filled the cracks with super glue in their open position with bow strung and drawn. It still shoots good but now I'm concerned that it might blow up. What do you think?
                                                                                                                       Eliseo

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cracks in the knots
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 12:37:21 pm »
The super glue should do the trick. I add super glue to every knot on a wood bow, back and belly just for insurance. Add more glue if necessary to fill the crack and sand it smooth and you should be fine.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 12:40:14 pm »
It being so close to the edge I would defiantly rap it with something.If you have any weight to give I would try and take a little out also.The direction it is running there is a good chance it will pop up a splinter or worse if you do nothing. :)I would rap above and belowa 1/2 in. or so and I usually rap the other limb to match,just for looks.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Psycho

• Free to roam.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 12:41:35 pm »
Thanks Pat. I do want to hunt with this bow come September. She sure shoots nice.
                                                                                                              Eliseo

Offline Psycho

• Free to roam.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 12:45:40 pm »
Thanks for the reply Pappy. What do you mean by "take a little out". It is near 65# and I can go down a little.
                                       Eliseo Be back soon. Have an appt.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 12:56:03 pm »
From the picture it looks like it is right on the edge,you can thin it a little there and match the tiller on the other limb.That is the back of the bow we are looking at isn't it?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Psycho

• Free to roam.
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 03:30:53 pm »
No can do Pappy. The knot runs in at a slight angle from there on the back to about 1/4" inside the belly. I'll keep an eye on it and if necessary then I will wrap it as suggested. Thank you fellas.
                                                                                                   Eliseo

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 09:55:12 am »
Similar problem :

Deer sinew patch after super gluing the knot (as learned from John Scifres):

I was helping a friend build his first bow. I noticed this crack which was probably due to some over-zealous sanding in the knot area after the bow had been tillered.

I didn't want to chance it since he has a 30" draw. The bow is 70 ntn.
The patched area was a little stiff but it turned out ok

« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 10:12:03 am by Lost Arra »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 01:53:18 pm »
Nice fix Lost Arra ,that will do it most every time. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good